Chapter Forty-Nine - Preparations

The days leading up to their departure was filled with a mixture of sorrow and happiness. Lucas’ return to health signalled great celebration in the castle, a new hope bristling among its inhabitants as a great feast was planned for the Summer Solstice, the underlying feeling of fear swept away in the excitement of preparations.

Lizzie and Lucas spent much of their time in discussions with Leviro and Cass, studying the spell that would finally take them home, seeking out answers and preparing for what they knew they must do and facing the truth; they were leaving.

Lizzie had also decided to start training with Tae every day, and as she sat waiting for him in the training grounds, she couldn’t help start to worry about what they would need to do.

It was madness.

“But truth in madness is often found, when magic in our heart is bound,” a voice interrupted her, answering her thoughts as if it could hear them.

She turned to see the Grindal sitting on the fence beside her.

She smiled warily, still not sure how she felt about the little creature.

“Is that another riddle?” she asked cautiously, “I don’t have time for any more adventures.”

“Not a riddle, not a game, the truth lies deep within your name.

Your journey long, your path unclear, to face the one that you most fear.”

“What does that even mean?” she asked, watching as he somersaulted into the air and landed on the other side of the fence closer to her. “What journey and who do I fear?”

“Your quest begun, your destiny near, Look inside the answer’s clear.”

Lizzie shook her head about to question him again when he vanished into thin air.

“Thanks a lot,” she yelled aloud to the empty space.

“I have not done anything yet,” Tae answered from behind, making her jump, and she turned to see him entering the enclosure.

“Not you. The Grindal,” she replied seeing Tae look around in search for him. “He’s gone now,” she added, seeing the confused look on his face.

“Are you sure you’re up to doing this?” he asked concerned.

“Yes,” she answered quickly, “I’ve been going crazy sitting around doing nothing.”

“Clearly,” he remarked, “Seeing as you are talking to people that are not here.”

Lizzie raised her eyebrow at him at the insult, pulling a face as she jumped from the fence to approach him.

“You’re making it much easier for me to not miss you, you now,” she retorted, drawing her sword.

He smiled pulling his own weapon.

“So you’re going to miss me, are you?”

“I never said that,” She smiled back.

He laughed.

“When I think about that day I first trained you,” he began, “I never thought I would be standing here saying this but I am going to miss you also.”

Lizzie looked up catching his eye, as they stared at each other intently and then she smiled, readying her sword and then bowed.

He mirrored her movements exactly, and the fight began.

She really was going to miss him she thought, her heart pounding, the clash of metal ringing in her ears.

He made her feel alive.