Chapter Forty-Two - The missing Clue

Lizzie burst through the library doors, the draught sending a pile of scrolls fluttering to the floor as she marched determinedly across them, looking for Cass. There was no sign of the dragon, the table he normally used empty, but as she followed the sounds of movement she eventually found him amidst a pile of books on the upper levels.

“Why didn’t you tell me,” she demanded angrily as she descended on him.

“Tell you what little one?” Cass replied earnestly, pausing in his actions to look up at her. “That you’re the silver dragon in all the paintings, the statues, the stories. You let me believe you were my mine.”

“Lizzie, please,” Cass tried to interrupt.

“No,” she shouted “I’m such an idiot. Tracassiantus Silvertail, of the royal blood line; you were next in line to be King. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because those things are no longer important to me.”

“Not important?” she asked bemused.

Cass shook his head approaching slowly and knelt before her, his large face now level with hers.

“Just because I am of noble blood does not mean I am ready to rule. And even if I were, who would I rule? There are no others of my kind left. Whatever my destiny was before, it changed the moment I met you and I would want it no other way. Who I was no longer matters. It is who I will become that is important now.”

“You should have told me,” she whispered.

“I know,” he answered, “I am truly sorry but I haven’t been Tracassiantus for so long now, that it no longer feels right”

Lizzie looked up, the tears beginning to glisten in her eyes.

“But you used to let me colour in your scales with my crayons,” she uttered aghast.

“And make me have tea with your dolls, if I remember rightly,” he teased.

Lizzie shook her head clutching it in her hands in horror.

“And I would not give up those memories for anything,” Cass added lifting her chin gently.

“But why?” she whispered, “You were a great warrior; a hero. Why would you do that for me?”

“Because I am your guardian Lizzie, your sworn protector; we are one; our hearts entwined forever. We are bound to each other, so I now feel what you feel; all the uncertainty, the insecurities, the fear.”

He brushed her hair gently from her face before continuing to talk.

“But I also feel what you try so hard to hide; your strength, your goodness, your power. It has always been there, simmering beneath the surface; you just need to believe in yourself. It is my duty to help you find it.”

“That’s what Leviro told me,” Lizzie answered wiping a tear from her face.

“I know,” Cass smiled “Even though I was trapped I was still aware of my surroundings. Leviro is a very wise man, whom you should trust.”

Lizzie smiled staring up into the eyes of the beautiful dragon and felt a wave of warmth rush through her body.

“We must be ready to accept our destiny,” He remarked seriously. “A time is coming Lizzie, that has no place for fear or doubt. A time of darkness that we will face together but to defeat this enemy you will have to find that strength and courage inside yourself. I will help you, for I fear that if you do not, we will all be lost forever.”

Lizzie looked up the serious of Cass’ words washing over her but before she could speak a sudden noise made her flinch as the sound of a chair crashing to the floor boomed through the silence.