26) California and Candlelights

Wow...omg guys I actually can't believe I finished this story. It's bittersweet because I'm happy I finished a fic for once in my life, but at the same time I adore DWTBB so much. Like, it was my first DM fanfic.

Okay so I was thinking long and hard about this over the past few months, and I decided there will be no sequel. Because what would I even write about? Them going through senior year? It just would be too boring because the plot has already been completed. 

But, I am thinking about writing a spin-off. It could be set in the DWTBB world, but not on Maddie and Gino. Probably someone else. I dunno...

Anyways, I've stalled long enough.

I give you the final chapter *sniffle sniffle*

XXX

"Madison Ziegler!" A man called, poking his head in-between the dark purple curtains.

The brunette in question turned her head, "Yes?"

"You're on in ten!"

Maddie nodded, and the man closed the curtains. She then gave a deep sigh, looking back at herself in the small mirror she brought along with her. Her hair was pulled into a tight bun at the base of her head, with a light blue decoration piece clipped on. Her costume was a very pretty blue dress, with sapphire rhinestones that fell in a pattern across her chest and down the flowy part of her dress.

She wore regular tan tights underneath, but her feet were bare, since she would be on the floor for parts of her dance. She stared at her eyes, the dark make-up enhancing the icy blue of her eyes. Her small lips were glossed delicately, and her eye-lashes were longer. 

She looked like a Barbie Doll.

If Kendall was here, shed probably squeal and gush until she passed out from lack of oxgyen.

Maddie found herself snorting softly in amusement, before sighing as she let her chin drop into her hand.  She couldn't help the spike of anxiety that swelled in her stomach. This was the first time in a while she had done a solo onstage. She'd practiced her routine for months now, but for some reason she doubted herself.

What if she messed up? What if she didn't keep her feet pointed? What if she forgets? What if she falls out of her turns?

The questions swarm around in her brain, and she felt dizzy. Maddie groaned, her hands coming up to massage her temples. 

What was she going to do? It was too late to back out now. She was going on in ten minutes.

"No," Maddie whispered sharply, "You can do this. You're not afraid. You've known this for months, you could probably do this in your sleep. There's no need to be nervous."

The curtains pulled open, startling Maddie out of her pep-talk. Melissa and Mackenzie entered the room, and Maddie sighed in relief when she realized it wasn't time to go yet.

"Aww sweetie," Melissa cooed, wrapping her in a hug, "You look so beautiful!"

"Don't smudge the make-up, mom." Maddie muttered, only half-serious.

"Wow," Mackenzie said, watching her older sister curiously, "I don't think I've ever seen you wear this much make-up."

"That's what I said last night!" Melissa said.

Maddie resisted the urge to face-palm and then sat back down at her chair.She twiddled with her fingers, as the anxiety slowly started to crawl up to her chest. She could feel her heart starting to pick up, and she wondered if it would have been better to pretend to pass out.