19) Shoot Me Down

OMG guys, 9k views?! That's so amazing, and I really love you guys for this! I've been so busy this week that I almost forgot to post it!

This chapter's dedicated to all of you, because you're all awesome ;)

By the way, obsessed with this song. Really amazing, and I think it goes perfectly with Maddie's emotions and everything.

Enjoy!

XXX

Maddie didn't bother waking up early for school. After the emotional breakdown yesterday, she couldn't face her family, never mind facing Kalani or heaven forbid, Gino. Her phone vibrated loudly, a chiming sound going off, and she sighed.

That was the fifteenth time her phone had gone off. She knew they were from Chloe, Kendall, and Nia, and she was grateful for their caring and support. But honestly, she just wanted to be alone. 

She's never yelled at her mother like that, and even though it was in the heat of the moment, she deeply regretted it. After her father passed away, it was like a dark cloud had settled on their lives. She still interacted with her mother and sister, but it was with a little less spirit. The death had taken a toll on them all; Maddie the worst. For the most part, she kept all the hurt locked away deep down, only revealing her inner strife when she was very upset.

Like for example, yesterday.

And on top of unleashing her inner anger, she had admitted her feelings for Gino.

Love was not a word  she tossed around like most teens her age do. She was very open-minded and hopeful when it came to love, but never did she expect it to arrive at a time like this. The irony itself was like a punch to the face.

The girl who hated the boy fell in love with that boy.

"No," Maddie said sharply, sitting up from her miserable position on her bed. Her fist clenched the fuzzy pillow in her hand, "I don't love him. I can't love him."

Yeah, you do.  Her mental voice shot back at her, You love him. There's no use denying it.

"But it's not fair," Maddie groaned, squeezing her eyes shut to stop the tears from bubbling up, "Why me? Why now?"

There was no answer.

"Everything was going so fine," She muttered miserably. And then Kalani had to ruin it. Ruin the only chance of happiness Maddie's had for a while.

But as much as she wanted to pin the whole thing on Kalani, she couldn't. There was still the matter of the necklace, that was supposedly given to her to show that she meant a lot to him. Was it possible that she just assumed because he liked her that he would be different? 

That he could change?

Was this really just some ultimate game to him? Was it really just a conquest to take down the girl who used to hate him? The thought of it made Maddie's stomach lurch, and the hurt sunk in even deeper. The more she thought about it, the more it seemed sensible. 

Maybe he still, truly does mess around with Kalani, even though he claims to have only eyes for her. Maybe the text-message mishap was a lie too. Maybe this is what he wanted all in the end, maybe this was his biggest revenge scheme for all the times they went at each other's throats.

Maybe this was supposed to be a trap. An intricately planned, and horribly cruel plan that ended up with her having a broken heart. Maybe he wanted her to think he changed, so that she could succumb to his charm.

Perhaps she was the one most at fault, for falling for him in the first place.

The self-worth only dropped when Adele's new single "Hello" played from Spotify, and she growled, snatching her phone off the nightstand to stop the song. In no way was she ready for another waterworks show, and if she listened to Adele, there's no telling how that will end.