22) Together Again

Hey guys, I'm on vacation for spring break. I brought my laptop with me, but it doesn't connect to the wifi at the hotel so I'm typing this all on my phone, which is something I haven't done in a while.

This also means there's gonna be many typos. I swear I correct Autocorrect more than it corrects me! But yeah until I get home and edit it again on my laptop please excuse the typos.

XXX

By the time Maddie returned home, the moon was out along with the glistening stars around it. She didn't even bother checking her phone, she already knew she was way out pass curfew. She was startled when the door opened and in the threshold was Mackenzie, who immediately wrapped her into a hug.

Maddie was shocked, speechless, and tired. So all she could really do was just give a soft squeeze back, and try to pry her little sister's hands away from her spine before she accidentally breaks it.

"What was that f-"

"Where have you been?!" Mackenzie exclaimed after almost hugging the life out of her.

Maddie paused, blinked for a moment, before her gaze shifted down to the floor. "Um...the park."

"Why did you come home so late?!" She snapped.

Maddie sighed, "I had to talk to somebody."

Mackenzie was already pacing back and forth, "Mom was worried sick. She was about to call the police, but then I talked her out of it. I told her to wait a few more hours to see if you'd show. Maddie, I thought you were kidnapped or something! Why didn't you tell mom you'd be at the park?"

The guilt had started to sink in. "I'm sorry...I just forgot about time. I swear, I wasn't planning on being out that late."

Mackenzie shook her head, "Don't apologize to me. Apologize to her." 

And with that, she ran upstairs.

Maddie took a long, deep breath, before heading upstairs. Instead of turning to her bedroom, she hesitantly grabbed the doorknob, and turned it open. As soon as she stepped into the threshold, the reaction was similar to Mackenzie's.

Her mother threw her arms around Maddie, and hugged her tightly. But the way her shoulders moved, she could tell she was silently weeping. She felt the tears wanting to swell in her eyes, but blinked them away. She couldn't bare anymore tear-shedding.

"I'm so glad you're safe," She whispered softly, "I thought something bad happened to you. I was so worried."

"Mom," She breathed in softly, "I'm so sorry. I never meant to do this to you. I swear, I lost track of time."

"It doesn't matter," Her mother said, still in that soft voice, "All that matters is that you're back and safe. I love you, Madison."

XXX

"So." Chloe prompted, leaning against Maddie's locker that morning the next day.

"So?" Maddie asked, her arms deep in the unorganized locker. Her nose scrunched up, and she grimaced at the faint scent of peanuts that still wafted from her locker.

Would  that smell ever come out?

"I heard that you finally talked things out with Gino," Chloe said, and she gave a small, tentative smile, "Is everything good now?"

Shutting her locker, Maddie sighed. "I'm honestly not sure."

Chloe raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"