Chapter 18

"I shouldn't take it right?" Lauren asked her best friend the next day. She had spent the entire night thinking about it.

The board had gave her until the end of today to figure it out. She wanted to tell her wife, but she wasn't sure how she was going to take it. The doctor didn't want to risk having another fight.

"Well what do you think?" Dinah questioned back as she bit into one of her tacos.

"I mean it's a great opportunity, but I'll literally have no time for patients. My job would only involve paperwork and an office. You know how I feel about that and where did you get those?"

"Yeah, knowing you, you wouldn't be able to sit still for more than five minutes, let alone the entire day. If you don't want to take it, then don't take it and the taco truck down the street, they're amazing, want some?"

"No thanks."

Lauren thought about her decision for some moments, but before she could voice her thoughts she was paged to the ER by Dr. Kepner.

She, Dr. Torres, and Wilson rushed to the ambulance bay when the ambulance arrived.

"Forty-four, Brenda Mewis. Isolated shotgun wound to the neck, she has a right shoulder dislocation, post mechanical fall." The male paramedic explained.

"Who shot her?" Asked Torres.

"My husband." Brenda replied.

"Your husband?!" Wilson asked shocked.

"Not like that! Not on purpose." A man emerged from the ambulance and defendedhimself, "It was an accident."

"Was it Howard? Did you confuse me with a moose?" The wife asked.

"Brenda, if I wanted to shoot you, I'd have done it in the woods. You'd still be out there"

"Okay! Let's calm it down and get her to trauma one." Lauren spoke breaking their bickering.

The woman was quickly put on a heart monitor and was being checked everywhere. The husband just kept apologizing until eventually Wilson had to take him out towards the waiting area.

"She has a shoulder fracture, I'm going to have to fix it under anesthesia." Callie announced.

"That'll have to wait, from what I'm seeing the wound on her neck is very close to deadly. We need to get her up to an OR immediately."

Brenda was prepped and taken into the operation room under five minutes. Lauren was about to leave, but they needed extra hands. Jauregui wasn't a professional in surgery, but she knew a thing or two. Everything was still getting ready when the woman groaned out in pain.

"I know it hurts, but we'll get you under soon. Then we can attend to that shoulder." Lauren told her.

"No, it's my stomach."

Lauren furrowed her eyebrows, "Hold on the anesthesia, she's having abdominal pain." She told everyone in the room.

"Wilson bring me the ultrasound!"

As Wilson was crossing the room to get the machine, Torres started to search for any wounds.

"Alright I don't see any wounds in her torso or her legs or-" She cut herself off.