Chapter 9

"The bleeding is too much, you can't contain it anymore."

"Isn't there any more gauze?"

"No, there isn't anymore. We've used it all."

"Fuck." Lauren whispered.

Think Lauren, think.

She had to come up with a solution. She did take critical thinking classes back in college for a reason. She looked around and as her eyes scanned the patient's bed, she caught sight of her pillow. 

"Pass me your pillow case."

As she obtained it, she pressed it down on the wound with her red colored hands. She got a grunt of pain from Dr. Ross, but it was for his own good. Lauren thought he was the most annoying guy ever, but after what he did for her, he deserved to live.

"Blood pressure keeps going down." Dr. Torres told them.

"We have to get him to surgery. Didn't Shepard have scheduled surgeries all day today?"

"Yea he did."

"We have to get him to his OR."

"How? You already said we can't move him."

Dr. Ross grabbed Lauren's hand to get her attention, "You know I'm going to die Lauren, just let me die."

Dr. Jauregui shook her head, "No, not on my watch. I'm not going to let you die."

"There isn't much hope left or any hope for that matter. You'll tell me when I'm going to die right?"

"Yes I'll tell you, but right now you're not dying. Amy pass me your bed sheet." she told the patient.

With the help of Torres, they rolled him on his side and placed the sheet on the floor next to him. They rolled him back, now his back was on top of the sheet. Lauren got up and so did her colleague, together they pulled the sheet with George on it. Dragging him out the room, they made their way to the stairs, leaving a trail of blood behind.

By the time they reached the stair entrance, they were already out of breath. Who knew Dr. Ross weighed so much? Catching their breaths, Dr. Torres opened the door while Lauren pulled George down the stairs gently, not wanting the gravity to take him all the way down all at once.

"Stop stop stop." Dr. Ross said.

"What is it?"

"We're not getting there in time. Look at me, I'm pale and look at all the blood I've lost. I don't feel pain anymore, that's a bad sign. I'm dying Jauregui just admit it."

Lauren sighed, he was right. He was dead the moment he got shot.

She nodded, "Yes George, you're dying."

"I want to tell you one thing before I'm gone."

The green eyed doctor sat down and placed his head on her lap, "Tell me anything."

"I never actually wanted you in my bed, it was all a joke. I respect that you're married with a beautiful woman and together you have a cute little girl." he confessed.

Lauren chuckled with teary eyes, "All this time you had me thinking you were one thirsty man."

George smiled, "I'm going to cry for my mom like a baby in some moments but before that, can you tell Julie the nurse on the third floor that I've always had a crush on her?"

"Of course."

"And that I died a brave man, despite all the crying."