Chapter 4

Song kinda goes with the chapter

"Olivia sweetie, are you up?" I force my eyelids open slowly and directly above me is a light. Where am I?

All I can remember is running into a wall... oh wait... that was Hayden. Oh yeah! Then he chased me down here and I fainted! Well at least I got away from him.

"Are you feeling alright? You've been out for practically the whole school day!" Mrs. Johnson, the nurse, asks me.

"Wait did you say the whole day?" I ask hurriedly. I can't believe I missed so much stuff!

I sit up in the bed. "Hey, was there a boy who brought me here?" I ask her.

"Oh yes, I think it was uhm... Hayden Brown? Yeah, that's right." She replies.

"Is he still here?" If he is I'm screwed. He's going to be like 'oh are you okay I'm so sorry!' Then he's gonna offer me a ride home because he feels bad, he's gonna bring up something about depression and then he's going to find out and I'm gonna die!

"Oh no worries honey, I told him to get to class hours ago. He shouldn't be here unless he snuck back." I sigh out of relief and get out of the cot.

"Well uh, thanks." I say awkwardly and head out the door. There's a clock at the end of the hall that reads 2:15, class is going to get out in like 10 minutes. I guess I can just go home. My mom's not gonna be mad after I tell her what happened. I fish around my pockets for my phone, but end up pulling out a note instead. Where the frick did this come from?

Sorry that I made you faint. But I carried you to the nurse's office, so you owe me.

-Hayden.

Why do I freaking owe him? That wasn't a favor, it was the right thing to do! I shake my head and start walking home. With no Amelia, it's the only way I've got.

I pull my phone out of my pocket to call Kian and tell him I got out of school early, then send Amelia a quick text.

I walk into my neighborhood and see my house just down the street. Ugh, stupid me. I should've just waited for school to get out and have a ride home. This has taken forever. If Kian wasn't such a slow poke he would probably be home by now.

I take the spare key out from- oh wait, I'm not gonna say that. Ok, I took the spare key out from a very classified place, and unlock the door.

"Mom, it's me!" I quickly set my backpack down and walk into the kitchen to find my mom.

The kitchens empty. Hmm. Mom usually doesn't go a lot of places, she prefers to stay home. Maybe she left a note.

Sure enough, taped to the fridge is a note from my mom.

Olivia,

I know you're probably the only one who would waste your time reading this. But, I just want you to know that I'm off running some errands and I should be back in time to pick up Faith. If not, she should be back on the bus. Dad should be back around 6.

Love, Mom.

Ok, that's a good enough reason for her to be away. But I can't help but feel a little suspicious. Errands on a Monday? My mom is the type of person to get everything done on the weekend.

Calm down Olivia, she probably just forgot to get some things and she's making a second trip to pick them up. Nothing to worry about.

Realizing I haven't put the spare key back, I take it out from my pocket and go to the front door. I put it back in its classified place and head inside to watch some TV.

Kian should be back any minute now. Maybe I should ask Amelia to stay. I want her to know what happened today, I did kind of just leave her. But how would I explain my depression? She doesn't even know about it. God I'm such a bad friend. I can't even be honest.

Maybe I should just tell her. She deserves to know. She's always been understanding, hopefully she can be today too.

The front door opens and I hear someone yell "Where's my baby sis?"

I roll my eyes and get up from the couch.

"I'm not your baby sis, Kian." I say, making air quotes when I say 'baby sis.'

"I can call you that because I'm older. Therefore you are my baby sis."

"I hate you." I mutter under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Oh, it was nothing." I smile sweetly at him. "Is Amelia still here?" I ask, peering through the doorway. Sure enough, her car is still in our driveway.

I think that even if I didn't want to talk to Amelia, she wouldn't have taken no for an answer.

I wave her inside and go back to the couch. I hear her come in the door and I call for her.

"So," she says as she plops down next to me.

"First things first, I'm sorry for kinda just leaving you after second period. Second, I'm guessing you'd like to know the story." She nods and I start.

"Ok," I take a deep breath. "Amelia, there's something I haven't told you. And I'm sorry for hiding it from you for so long, but you have to understand that it's not very easy for me to share."

She looks at me for a second as she seems to be taking it all in. "Ok, I think I'm ready to hear it."

I wipe my hands off on my jeans and and close my eyes, not wanting to see her reaction.

"I'm depressed."

I hear her gasp and I flinch back instinctively. I shouldn't have told her, I knew she was going to be mad!

I slowly open my eyes and take in her expression. Eyes wide, mouth agape. She quickly closes her mouth.

"For how long?" She asks quietly.

"Since I was thirteen." She sucks in a quick breath.

"I know this is hard to take in at once, and I'm so sorry for not telling you earlier Amelia. I know now that I should have." A tear rolls down my cheek now, and I brush it away quickly. One tear is followed by another, and another, and another. Soon enough I'm sobbing silently. I hear footsteps softly walking away and I cry even harder.

"God, I'm such a bad friend." I wrap my arms around myself, trying to stop shaking.

"Olivia, are you alright?" I hear Kian call from the other room. His footsteps come closer, and then his arms wrap around me.

"Hey, Livie, stop crying. It's going to be ok. You have me."

It takes me a while, but I finally stop crying. My head hurts and my eyes feel all puffy.

"I'm going to get us some ice cream ok, and then we can watch some movies." I nod, and he disappears into the kitchen.

I knew I shouldn't have told her.

1201 words✌🏼️