Chapter 1: The Beginning

Renesmee

'Renesmee? Where are you going?' Jacob called from the living room.

I peered in through the door to see Jacob stretched across the floor peering towards me with the same smile I have adored for the past five years. Glistening white teeth accompanied by tiny dimples that are almost undetectable, but I notice. I noticed from the very first time I saw him in Rose's arms. I could see the beauty and innocence hidden in his deep tangible eyes.

He looked at me expectantly, waiting for my answer. "I'm just going to do a bit of light hunting before school tomorrow."

Even though I am five years old, I have the body of a sixteen year-old. I'm not like other humans. In fact, I'm not even human- not fully anyway. I'm a genetic hybrid: part human and part vampire. When my mother was a human, she got pregnant. She decided to keep me and nearly killed herself in doing so. But father managed to bring her back to life long enough to change her into one of him. A vampire. 

So instead of growing at the rate of a human or not growing at all, as vampires do, my growth accelerates quickly, slowing down the older I get and eventually stopping when I've finished puberty. And because I am part vampire, I want blood to sustain me. Of course, I can live of human food too, and some of its not all bad. But I prefer blood. Especially when I am going to be surrounding myself around humans.

"I'll come with you," he yawns, pushing himself up from the ground.

"It's okay," I tell him midway through his stretch. Jacob usually accompanies me on my hunts, but I won't be out for very long and I don't want him coming out with me when he looks so comfortable.

"Are you sure?" Worry drips into his eyes and his lips pull downwards ever so slightly. I walk over to him, placing my hand on his bare chest. It is warm and welcoming as always. In turn, he wraps his hand around my pale one, covering entirely in his large, strong hands.

"Of course. I won't be long and I just want a moment to be human." We both smile at my lame joke. Even though I am part human, I am also part vampire. In other words, nearly indestructible. 

He looks into my eyes assessing my reaction to the conversation. I plead with my eyes, because, for once, I do need a moment by myself to be human. It's my first day of school tomorrow and I can feel the anxiety riddling through my blood stream. The only humans I have ever really been around is Charlie and Sue. I couldn't really go to school beforehand, with the way I grow. But now, my growing is slowing down, enough where humans won't notice me. Dad said it would be good to be around people my age. Myself? I'm not so sure. I don't want to hurt them, I don't want to attack them if they smell too good, I don't want to be an outcast.

He smiles slightly, understanding. He always understands.

'Okay then. Be safe,' he tries to sound nonchalant, but the undertone of worry is always detectable whenever I go somewhere without him. And in part, I completely understand his worry. Even though we both know nothing will happen to me, its the feeling of being away from each other that causes anxiety too. I always feel a pull towards him. Its like a piece of red string attached to me, pulling at my side whenever we are away. It always pulls me in the right direction: back to him. I have felt this way since I was born, probably even before that.

'As always,' I call to him pulling the door closed.

The forest envelopes the house in a vibrant rainbow of greens, browns, reds, and orange. The breeze whips through my curls, sending the smell of the coming winter breeze.

Excitement fizzles inside me. The smell of the cold only means one thing: snow. I love snow. It's different from the other seasons. So beautiful. I love the sight of each encrusted pattern on each snow flake and how, when the sunlight caught them just right, a rainbow spreads across their icy canvass.