FIVE

Chapter Five:

The next few days had been rather quiet for Kya. She had been familiarizing herself with the bunker and binge-reading the book at the same time. As time progressed, she seemed much more open to talking and expressing herself. Although she was still rather shy, and still stuttered, she smiled more, and was more energetic about learning about the supernatural.

One morning, she walked into the kitchen where she found Dean and Sam. Dean wore a navy blue robe and had been drinking a strange brownish substance that made her nose itch. Sam was wearing a plaid shirt, sitting at the table with Dean, and a bag that smelled like food beside him.

As she entered the room, they both turned to look at her. "Mornin' Kya," Dean greeted.

"Good morning, Mr. Dean," she replied with a smile. "Good morning, Mr. Sam." She had been slightly proud she was able to say that without stuttering as she sat at the table.

She glanced at Dean's cup, her nose twitching. "W–What is that?" She asked, pointing to said cup.

Dean smirked, "Good ol' Joe," he answered, taking a sip.

"W–Who is Jo—Joe? Are you d–drinking them!?" Kya exclaimed, her blue eyes bulging.

Sam barked out a laugh as Dean shook his head, "It's just an expression, sweetheart. Joe means coffee, which is what I'm drinking — coffee."

Kya gave a small nod, "Ho—How does it ta–taste?"

"Well, I like my coffee black so... Bitter."

"What is bit–bitter?"

"Here," he slid the cup to her, "Try it."

She gave him a strange look, but brought the coffee mug to her mouth and took a large sip.

Kya withered as soon as the substance made contact with her tongue, making Dean laugh. She shuddered, passing the cup back and coughed, trying to get the taste out.

"That's not funny, Dean," Sam scolded, but Dean was too busy laughing.

"It was a little funny," he said, wiping a tear away. After recomposing himself he turned back to Kya,who was still making odd faces, trying to get the taste out of her mouth. "You okay there, kid?"

"I–I did not like th–that..." She murmured, going to the fridge, looking for food.

"I have eggs and bacon, Kya," Sam suggested, and she turned around, looking at him.

"M–May I have so–some, Mr. S–Sam?"

"Grab a plate," he answered. Kya swiftly went to the other side of the room, trying to reach for a plate off the higher shelf, with no avail. She huffed, flapping her wings to get her a bit of height, and was able to slip a plate off the top. She proudly brought it to Sam, a smile on her face.

He smiled at her accomplishment as well, giving her a healthy portion of the breakfast food, and she ate quietly.

0/0/0/0

Later, Kya sat in a seat, off to the side of the room, reading her book silently as Dean and Sam worked on a way to find their friend. She didn't exactly know his name, but they kept referring to him as 'Cas'. She wasn't quite listening, she had found an particularly interesting part in her book.