Epilogue

2 years later:

 “Ariel? Can you hold back a second? I would like to speak to you about that assignment you handed in.” Professor Jensen calls me out from the line of students streaming out of the classroom. I frown and fiddle with the strap of my bag before stepping towards him.

When the last student leaves the room, Professor Jensen crosses his arms across his chest and his thin lips pull upwards in what I think is what he considers a smile.

“Your assignment- it was amazing, Ariel. I have never seen such pure talent and exquisite writing in a first year student before,” Professor Jensen says and I feel as if a weight is lifted off my chest.

“Are you sure you got the right student?” I ask carefully. Professor Jensen's grey eyes shine behind his oval-shaped glasses. He rubs his bald head with renewed energy as he pushes himself to his feet with some difficulty.

“Is your name Ariel Chambers and is this your work?” He picks up a file and throws it on the desk in front of me. I glance at it and don’t respond. It is my work but I’m still having trouble believing that Professor Jensen is well and truly talking about me.

“I know you’ve been through an awful lot in your teenage years but I’m so glad you chose to write on that topic. I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for you to recover from everything that has happened to you.” Professor Jensen looks me straight in the eye and I struggle against the impulse to look away. “I’m just glad that Richard has finally got his due. Murdering your brother, that random woman in the car crash, his two attempts on your life and paying Selena Newman to try and poison your father…” Professor Jensen shudders and I feel the weight returning to my chest. The memories start to return- Richard’s trial, his sentencing, the feelings that had overwhelmed me when Will’s eyes had encountered mine at the courthouse... He’d taken the stand in court as a witness and testified of all the things we'd been put through because of Richard. Thankfully, the prosecutor had had a strong enough case without me needing to testify in open court. It had turned out to be a true blessing because, as I later found out during trial, I had been too fragile to take the stand anyway.

Ollie’s funeral is the one memory that still stings- the pain, grief and heartache of his family as they openly blamed me for everything that had happened to Ollie. They were mad I even went to his funeral, but I thought I had at least owed him that.

As the memories come back like a tidal wave, I let them all play out in my mind. Each time I let them play out, the pain lessens a tiny fraction.

Professor Jensen is still talking and I tune back in to what he’s saying.

“I’m extremely proud of you, Ariel,” he says and I can see the smile returning to his face. “You are one of the strongest people I’ve ever met.”

Unsure of what to say, I murmur, “Thank you.”

After a few more compliments and giving me extra notes from the lecture, Professor Jensen gives me his leave and I hurry out into the campus grounds. Students laze on the grass in the sunshine, showcasing some very public displays of affection. It's cliché to say this but those people really need to get a fucking room.

Pulling the sleeve of my jacket up, I glance at my watch. The rumble in my stomach confirms my suspicions and I pull the strap of my bag across my chest before heading to my usual lunch spot. Jogging lightly, I reach the base of the massive elm tree at the edge of the lawn. Tilting my head backwards, I squint at the nearest branch before pulling myself up. The feeling of bark and the smell of the leaves makes me feel heady and brings back happier memories of my childhood.

Reaching a proper height, I lean against the trunk of the tree and unpack my sandwich. The view I get from up here is spectacular. I can see across the campus and above some of the lower buildings. My unusual lunch spot, however, has not earned me any friends and I really don’t mind. The solitude is exactly what I need. There will be time for friends later.