Chapter 13

“You’re joking.” I stare at Will, unsure of how to respond.

Will couldn’t have found her. He’s playing me.

“Do you really think I would joke about this?” Will asks, raising an eyebrow at me. He runs a hand through his hair and the muscles in his arm flex a little.

I can feel my knees grow weak as the reality of the news sinks in. I don't know if I feel happy or just overwhelmed. Just before my legs buckle under me, Ollie grabs my arms and steadies me.

“Let’s go back. I think you need some air,” Ollie whispers. His hot breath fans my overheated cheeks and I nod.

“She’s not going anywhere with you.”

I glare at Will. “I’m going with Ollie and that’s final.”

“No. You’re not.” Will steps in front of me and almost wrests me out of Ollie’s arms, his hands capturing my wrists. “You have to come home. Your father has been worried sick about you.”

I flinch at the thought of my father worrying about me.

“Tell him I’m fine,” I hiss, pushing him away, uncomfortable at our close proximity. I see the corners of Will’s lips turn downwards and I grit my teeth in anger. He needs to piss off and leave me alone.

“Come on. I’ll give us a ride back. Abigail’s probably wondering where we are,” Ollie says, taking my arm gently. I jerk at the touch of his hand and I jump away from him. My head is spinning, trying to absorb everything. I can't understand how Will could have found my mother. It's all too much to take in.

I can feel my emotions running high but I keep my voice steady as I say, “I’m going back with Ollie to grab my stuff. After that, I’ll come back home. Is that alright with you, William?” I spit out the last sentence. Will’s expression twitches a small fraction and I feel a guilty satisfaction.

“Do whatever you like. I don’t control you,” Will replies. His words are cold and I know I’ve gone too far. As far as arrogant goes, I've just crossed a line between us and I wonder if I'm being too harsh towards him. As soon as that thought crosses my mind, I dismiss it. He has no right to show up when I’m with someone else and demand that I return home.

Following Ollie’s lead, I turn on my heel and walk away.

*

The ride back to Ollie’s house is silent. The tension between us caused by Will is so thick that one could cut through it. I’ve never heard a silence quite so loud.

When we pull up in front of his house, I unclip my safety belt and move to open the door but Ollie’s turns on the automatic shut-in and locks my door.

I feel my heart sink to the pit of my stomach.

Oh no.

“Just your bodyguard, huh?” Ollie’s tone is filled with hurt and anger.

“Will is just my bodyguard,” I say, keeping my eyes fixed on an object outside the car.

“Really?" Ollie scoffs. "I'll have to be blind and dead if I don’t see the way he reacts when he's near you.”

“I’m not apologizing to you for anything, Ollie,” I say, finally turning to meet Ollie’s accusing gaze. "Will is just my bodyguard and that's final."

“No. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you have other admirers following you around like  lapdogs." Ollie shakes his head, his lips twisted into a bitter smile. His words sting and for a moment, I’m speechless.

“You know what? I don’t have to explain myself to you. Just let me out of this damn car.” I reach over for the auto-lock button but Ollie blocks my hand.

“So you're sure that Will and you are just friends? That you don't like him the way I like you?” His tone is no longer angry- just hurt and sad. I recoil from him, legs shaking slightly.

No. Don’t do this. Stay angry with me. Please.

“For the last time, I’m not involved with Will,” I say softly “We've just met. He just happened to be there for me when my dad collapsed. We made some kind of a connection that night but that's it. I don't care about him."

“If that's the truth then tell me why you broke up with me in the first place,” Ollie says, his voice barely above a whisper. He leans in and his fingers trace my jawline. I close my eyes, steadying my breathing.

“I-I can’t. Not now… All I can think of right now is my mother. I…” I wring my hands helplessly, “I want to be able to look you in the eyes and give you my undivided attention and honesty when I explain to you about everything.”

I look into Ollie’s eyes, willing him to believe me. His eyes soften and I almost let out the breath I’d been holding. He plants a kiss on my forehead before releasing the auto-lock. When I’m out of the car, I close my eyes and take several deep breaths.

I'm toxic for Ollie and he just can't see it yet.

But he will.

And when he does, I hope I can take it when he runs far away from me.

*****

TEAM WILL OR TEAM OLLIE?!

'Secrets' has almost reached 7K reads!!! I am so stoked and I really can't believe it! Thank you to all you guys! :)