Chapter 3

The house is quiet. Too quiet.

I slip out of my room and walk down the hall carefully. The soft Persian carpet underfoot muffles my footsteps as I head towards the back door. As I move, I can hear Sofia's, our head maid, snore echo from the servants' chambers. I grin a little and almost forget about my uneasiness. As Sofia's snores fade, the sickening feeling returns- something isn't right.

I unlock the back door with a spare key that I know is hidden in the fourth cupboard from the dishwasher and slip outside. Once in the open air, I take a deep breath and start towards the east. The mixture of dew and freshly cut grass permeates the air. It's a surprisingly sweet smell and I stop for a second to take a breath.

That's when I hear his footsteps. They are hushed but not silent.

"Will." I stop and turn around, my fists shoved into my jacket pockets.

He gives me a half-smile in the dim morning light. His wavy hair is tousled from having just gotten out of bed but his eyes are bright. He wears a black leather jacket over a plain white shirt and black jeans. His sneakers, like mine, are new but scuffed.

"Good morning, Ariel," he says. His voice is loud but quiet enough so that it won't wake those still asleep in the house.

My lips curl downwards.

"I don't need your protection," I say, almost snarling. "I can take care of myself."

"I know. I'm just here as back-up," he responds. He shrugs and adds, "I suggest that you let me tag along to wherever you're planning to go or I might just start yelling and wake everyone up."

I draw a quick breath. Blackmail. That rat-faced bastard.

Turning around, I start running. There's a tall oak tree next to one part of the fence and I throw myself onto its lower branches. When I land, I wrap my arms tightly around the thick branch. The force of my landing knocks the wind out of me and I stop for a second to recover before I pull myself up higher. I can hear Will below me. I glance down and see his tall figure bend and weave around branches with ease. It's impressive. But annoying.

When I reach the appropriate height, I stretch out along the branch and slide my body over it until I'm on the other side of the fence. Taking a deep breath, I calm my nerves. I've never enjoyed heights and I am currently several metres up in the air, waiting to leap down.

Tensing my muscles, I jump. For a moment, I'm suspended in midair; then, I slam against the hard pavement below me and my legs collapse under the impact. Wincing, I roll onto my side and push myself onto my knees. My breath comes in ragged gasps and there's a bead of sweat dotting my brow but I'm alive. I check for any broken bones or blood but thankfully, there are none.

I look upwards and I see Will poised to jump. I force myself to my feet and walk a little way away, deliberately turning my back. I hear feet hitting the pavement and a small grunt. Before I can stop myself, I turn around and see Will slowly pushing himself to his feet and using the wall for support. His face is twisted into a grimace and I can't help a small smirk.

"Need help?" I ask. Will's eyes meet mine and his mouth sets into a stern line.

"Thanks but no; I can manage," he says. He stands up straight- perhaps a little too straight- and I can't help a grin. I feel no sympathy for him. He deserves it.

"Okay. We're out. Now what is so important that you needed to sneak out of the house before 6am?" Will asks, raising an eyebrow at me. I shrug and don't respond. Instead, I start walking down the street. I need to go to the place where I was shot at yesterday. I need to check it out. I don't trust the police to do it right and Will is just an unwelcome distraction.

"I have a proposition for you," Will calls out. I don't stop walking.

"I will help cover for you when you leave on these... unauthorised excursions. In exchange, I want you to let me accompany you," he says. I hesitate, wondering whether I should keep listening. Noticing my pause, Will continues, "Don't think of me as someone here to protect you. Think of me as a partner- someone willing to help you fulfil whatever mission you've taken upon yourself to complete."

I turn around halfway.

"Why should I trust you?" I ask quietly. Will laughs and it's a throaty chuckle that sends warmth spreading through my body.

"I'm sure you've already done all the necessary background research on me," he says. "Your father told me that you have a knack with computers."

I don't respond for several seconds; then, I sigh.

"Fine. Just stay out of my way." I feel like I'm pulling out teeth. "If you step anything out of line, I will not hesitate to make sure that any hope you have of fathering Will Juniors are wiped out. Have I made myself abundantly clear?"

Will smiles and gives me a mock-salute. His grins are almost infectious and for a second, I think of Micah.

Micah used to smile like that.

I shake the thought away. I have work to do.

****

So did you guys like this chapter? ;) Leave your comments below and if you did, don't forget to vote!!! <3