Chapter Twenty Three

~COPYRIGHT 2013~

*Deacon's POV*

I jolt up from the floor the moment I smell it; a woodsy scent. My mate's scent. My mate is nearby!

I start to yank at the chains, waking Ella up in the process. She stares at me like I'm crazy.

"Deacon, what are you doing?" she practically screams.

"Mate," I growl out, my wolf taking over most of my control.

She gasps. "Deacon, your wolf is out!"

I snap back into reality at that moment. "My wolf is out? How's that possible? She gave us that drink!"

"The scent of your mate must have made him stronger. He wants so bad to find his mate that he pushed through its influence!" she laughs, excited. Then she pauses and sniffs the air. She cocks her head to the side. "Why do I smell Reed?"

"Your Alpha mate?" I wonder.

She nods. "Why do we both smell our mates? Do you think they are trying to trick us into trying to get out?"

"There's only one way we'll know. Lets see if I can get these chains off. Do you feel your wolf?"

"Only a little bit. I'm still weak though. There's no way I can break out of these," she says.

"I've got your back Luna," I smile, pulling and tugging at the chains.

Nothing seems to be working and there's no way I can shift into my wolf because with the way these chains are, I'd break all of my legs in the process.

"Channel your wolf. Think of your mate again. If your wolf is out, you'll be stronger," Ella speaks up.

"I'm warning you now El, he can be pretty scary. After years of abuse from my pack, he's turned bitter," I tell her.

"I'm not afraid of you or your wolf, Deacon. Let him out and save us."

I close my eyes and think of that delicious woodsy scent. I feel him take over.

*Demetrius' POV (Deacon's Wolf)*

Opening up my eyes, the girl opposite me gasps. Ignoring her, I pull at the chains that are attached to the ground. My arm chains snap in one try and I crush my leg ones with my now free hands. I stand up and make a dash towards the door.

"Wait!" her voice calls.

I pause and turn back slowly. The girl is looking at me with desperation shadowed on her face.

"Please, Deacon said he would help me get out!" she pleads.

"I am not Deacon," I growl at her.

"What is your name?"

"You do not need to know."

She growls and her eyes flash black and back. "I am your Luna! You will tell me your name!" she demands.

The power hits me and I try to resist if, but it's not use. She is my new Luna. I must obey.

"Demetrius. My name is Demetrius, my Luna," I answer.

"Demetrius, you need to understand that what happened to you and Deacon in your old pack was wrong. My pack will never treat you the way your old pack did. We will accept you the way you are. There is no reason to be bitter. You must let the pain go."

I drop to my knees and stare at her in desperation. "How do I do that?"

"Just let it go, Demetrius. Your mate will make it all better. You just need to let the pain go. Let me help you."

I close my eyes and relax.

"Imagine the pain as a wave," my Luna instructs.

I picture a wave in my mind.

"Watch as the wave builds bigger and bigger, picking up each ounce of pain as it draws closer to the shore."

The wave begins to grow in front of my eyes. . It is the biggest wave I have ever seen in my life. It is cresting at the top, ready to crash at any moment. But my body will not let it crash.

"It is almost to the shore. It is curling over itself. Crashing to the sand, the water spreads out. The pain has dissipated. It is nonexistent. You're left with a calm sea, no waves in sight."

The wave nears the shore and crashes to the sand below. As it does, my body lurches forward to the ground.

*Deacon's POV*

"Demetrius? Demetrius?" Ella's frantic voice wakes me.

"It's me, Deacon," I reply, sitting up.

My body feels lighter, my heart happier. I can feel Demetrius in my body. For the first time in years he is happy. I can feel it. Tears come to my eyes and I look at Ella.

"Thank you," I breathe.

She smiles. "Come give me a hug you big oaf!"

I laugh and wrap my arms around her, giving her a hug. She pulls away and slaps me on the chest suddenly.

"Ow!" I whine, rubbing at my chest.

"You were going to leave me here chained to the floor!" she scolds.

"It wasn't me, it was him!" I protest.

"Yeah, sure. Just let me out."

I chuckle and channel Demetrius for a bit of strength, breaking her chains. When she tries to stand, she stumbles, grabbing her head. I am quick to grab her before she falls.

"Got up too fast!" she giggles.

"That's not all and you know it."

She nods reluctantly. "I know. Will we be able to make it out of here with me like this?"

"You can walk with my guidance, right?" She nods again. "Then we'll make it out of here."

We make our way to the door and it creaks as it opens. I flinch and listen for any sounds. Good, no one has noticed. I'm surprised. Aren't vampires supposed to have supersonic hearing or something?

We creep down the dimly lit hallway trying to keep our footsteps silent. We stop right before it opens to a big room. I peak my head around the corner and no one is in sight.

"Clear," I whisper to her.

"How are we this lucky?" she asks.

"Don't ask questions. Just be grateful we can get out of here without being caught."

We slowly walk into the open room and towards the front door. I open it up and peak outside.

Once again there is no one in sight. I grab Ella under the knees and pick her up, causing her to squeal. I shush her and run towards the cover of the woods. Setting her down, I look her in the eyes.

"I don't know where they are, but I don't want to take any chances just walking. I'm going to shift and I want you to get on my back. Can you do that?" I question.

"Yes, now hurry up!"

I shift into my wolf and she gets onto my back. I immediately take off away from the house.

Now I just have to find my way to Ella's territory. With my mate's scent no longer lingering in the air, this is going to be tricky.

~COPYRIGHT 2013~