Chapter 15

It takes a few moments for Louis' brain to really register what's really going on. He can taste the liquor on Jax's mouth, and how close his body is. The euphoric feeling is replaced by panic within seconds. Louis places a hand on Jax's chest and steps back. He can feel his heart trapped in the back of his throat. The look of confusion on Jax's face makes Louis break.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking," Louis stammers

The man in front of him frowns, clearly annoyed. Louis takes another step back, his anxiety reaching its peak. Jax opens his mouth to speak but Louis' legs have already made the conscious decision to bolt. He can hear his name being yelled once, twice but he doesn't want to hear it. He's forcing his body through the hundreds of intoxicated bodies. It's getting more difficult for the air to reach his lungs, and the bodies are blurring together. Louis turns around, trying to search for an exit over everyone's head. It feels like the whole world is closing in on him, and his legs are going completely numb. The sight of the bright green exit sign has him pushing his way through everyone. The exit can't come fast enough. As soon as he's out, the cold air floods his body. It's an immediate relief, and Louis leans against the brick wall of the building. He places his hands on his knees, slightly hunched over as he gasps for air. His heart is thumping loudly in his ears, and his body is shuddering from the waves of anxiety. Louis' mouth is starting to get an uncomfortable metallic taste, and he can feel saliva starting to pool. He's going to be sick. He shakes his head, forcing himself to breathe.

His focus is broken when the door next to him flies open. Louis shoots up straight. His vision may be blurry, but it doesn't take a genius to realise it's the man that Louis was trying to escape. He watches Jax's eyes make contact with his own.

"Louis," It's almost like a breath of relief

Louis swallows hard, and clenches his jaw. He's more than terrified right now. The man takes a couple steps towards him, but stops when Louis lifts his hand up to say stop.

"What's wrong? What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything, you really didn't. I just shouldn't have come out tonight,"

"Are you alright?"

Louis stops for a second, lets the words soak in. He hasn't really hard that for a long time. He can't help the laughter that escapes his mouth. It's loud, almost maniac like.

"Am I alright? Am I ever alright?" He rests his head against the hard brick, still lightly chuckling to himself.

"I don't know," Jax frowns, eyeballing the drunken mess in front of him.

"You wouldn't know, not even in the fucking slightest. God. Just go. Please,"

Louis is slowly sinking to the ground, eyes closed and lips pressed close together. Louis looks like an absolute wreck. His skin is glistening with a thick layer of sweat, his bronze hair in a state of disarray but also sticking to the sweat. The alcohol is hitting him harder than ever. Even with his eyes closed, he still feels like he's spinning. Jax's voice sounds so far away. He knows he's fading in and out of conscious.

"Just go, I want to be left alone," He mumbles

"No, I'm not leaving you to sleep in the gutter of an alley,"

Louis can feel Jax's strong hands grabbing him and hoisting him up. Louis is too drained to fight back, with his eyes still glued shut he tries to convince him to leave.

"I'm okay, let me go. Please,"

"I'm not an idiot. I'll put you somewhere safe tonight. You're in no condition to be left alone. Did you come with anyone tonight?"