Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter Twenty-One

I’ve been acting since I was seven. That's eleven years, for any non-mathematical geniuses out there.

I was one of the lucky ones who never got stage fright. I was never nervous. I was comfortable and confident with my acting, and I exuded that when I went on stage. Why be nervous when you know it’s something you’re good at? I didn’t really see a point in being scared as the red velvet curtain fell back and I went on stage.

I loved the lights and the crowds and the roles and the lines. It was part of working as a team, even enemies could work together and completely change personalities on stage. I was in my essence on stage. Everything fell into place.

I don't want you to think I'm pulling an Ashton and being arrogant and obnoxiously cocky, because I'm not. But, honestly, I wasn't going to lie. Acting was where my talents were.

But that Saturday night, as I dressed in a simple white tee and jeans, I finally knew what nervous was.

My mother was down the hall getting ready for her date, and I drew my hair into a messy bun and tied it tightly, patting down any loose strands.

Until my mother left for her date, I had to pretend that I was only going for a sleepover with Charlie. Therefore, when things blew up and my mother raced home, she wouldn’t wonder why I wasn’t there waiting for her. She would probably beat me home, so I had to make sure I had an alibi. Oh, yeah, I was thorough with this plan. I had both Charlie and Ashton to thank for that.

The clothes were already under the driver’s seat in my car, safely hidden out of sight, and Ashton had all of the materials we needed with him. Right now he would be at the restaurant setting up before it opened for its' dinner guests.

Ashton had set up the restaurant, and finally I was glad for the money his family obviously possessed. He had managed to buy his way into the restaurant, so that he could rig it for the date. Everything seemed to be working smoothly for us, despite all of our worries that it would fail.

My mother knocked on my door gently, and I jumped, turning around to face my mom.

“Hey, mom,” I said, smiling at her. “Ready to go?”

She nodded. “Yeah. Henry will be here in about five minutes.” She checked the elegant watch on her small wrist to make sure.

“Well, have fun, mom,” I said, giving her a hug and squeezing her tightly. “Have a good time.”

Yeah, good luck with that one, I thought sarcastically, but kept my mouth glued shut.

She nodded, a glazed-over, happy look in her eyes. “I’m sure I will.”

Just then the doorbell rang, and in a way it was kind of like the final curtain call at one of my shows. It was the beginning, when everything began, and chaos would ensue.

She hugged me one more time, before gently squeezing my upper-arms. “Well, that’s him. Have a good time with Charlie tonight, hon. See you tomorrow.”

I nodded affirmatively. “I will. Bye, mom!”

“Bye, hon!” she called as she made her way downstairs. I heard her stilettoes clacking against the mahogany tile, and then the front door open. I couldn't hear any proper words, only a deep rumbling voice from Henry and a high, feminine voice from my mother. Soon the door closed.

I walked to my window and watched as they made their way down the drive and into his expensive Italian car. I wasn't good with cars, but I knew enough to know it probably cost more than our house - and, well, our house had been freaking expensive.