Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter Two

~~~~

Dedicated to Janelle07 for the amazing trailer! Thank you so much I love it! :)

~~~~ 

"Welcome to Cupid's Incorporated, where we find you love, straight from above. This is Mia. How can I help you?"

That is how my mother had me answering the phone. And let me tell you, that sentence is quite a mouthful.

“Hello, Mia, my name is Henry Williams, and I’d just like to confirm my appointment for 2:30 this afternoon.” The man’s voice was distinctively British, and he sounded as if he were a middle-aged man, maybe forty.

“One minute, sir,” I replied pleasantly, guiding the mouse over to the diary and searching through the time. It was already one-thirty, so I didn’t have to search long.

There he was. He was quite a handsome man, and within seconds, his profile came up. Apparently he was thirty-nine, born in Britain with one son. His wife was deceased, and he was back on the market for a new woman.

I picked up the phone and replied, “OK, sir, so just confirming your appointment?” I reiterated.

“Yes, thank you.”

I quickly hit the confirmation button and thanked him, before returning the phone to the cradle and closing the open tab.

I wriggled my fingers in an attempt to get some feeling back into them, before returning back to my game of solitaire.

A little while passed before the phone rang again. I sighed and steeled myself.

“Welcome to Cupid’s Incorporated, where we find you love straight from above. This is Mia. How may I help you?” This was going to get very old, very soon.

“Well, hello, this is Henry Williams, I’m just calling to cancel my 2:30 appointment with you.”

I looked up at the clock with a frown; it was 2:15, and plus, he had already called to confirm his appointment.

“But, sir, you just called me forty-five minutes ago to confirm your appointment,” I told him, recognizing a distinct British accent.

“I…I did?” the voice asked uncertainly.

I pulled the phone away and stared at it incredulously. Was this guy joking with me?

Just then a man in an expensive-looking Italian suit breezed through the doors as if he owned the place. I jolted in confusion and my eyes bugged out as I recognized his picture from the profile.

“Can I put you on hold for a second?” I asked the mysterious man on the other end of the phone.

“Um… OK.”

I quickly put it on hold and mustered up my best smile. “Hi, how can I help you today?”

The man looked about thirty-two, and he had chocolate-brown eyes and tousled blonde hair. If we’re being truthful here, he was a pretty attractive middle-aged man.

The man flashed me a bright smile. “Hi, my name is Henry Williams, and I’m here for my appointment.”

I quickly tapped out his name and pressed the check mark that would be sent to my mother, confirming that her 2:30 appointment had arrived.

“If you’d like to take a seat, Melanie will be with you in a second,” I told him, shifting uncomfortably in my seat. It was still a little strange having to refer to her by her first name and not ‘mom.’

He nodded and thanked me, before taking a seat and picking up a magazine off the coffee table.

I picked back up the phone and said, “Hello, sorry for the wait, sir.”