Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter One

Cupid's Incorporated © Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved xXForever_LoveXx

~       *        ~

Most people expect to be spending their summer on the beach, soaking up the sun's rays and thinking just how amazing life is.

What was I doing?

Sitting behind an assistant's desk at the hottest matchmaking company in America.

But just how did I get roped into such a horrible job?

Well, that must be because my mother is the owner of Cupid's Incorporated.

When you look at my mother, you see a perfectly manicured middle-aged lady with a bright smile, copious amounts of jewelry, and stilettos that I'm pretty sure are so high that they're illegal in several states.

And then you look at me. With baggy jeans, plaid shirts and a face that hasn't seen make-up or a fashion magazine since her mother let her start dressing herself—at age twelve, if you're wondering. You would never believe that I would be related to Melanie Starr. The only thing we have in common is a surname.

My mother has a method she uses to rope me into doing things for her.

First, she makes me a chai latte with extra whipped cream and chocolate shavings and asks me pleasantly to sit at the table. Then she asks me very nicely—in this case, to work for her.

Of course, this blasphemous idea is met with a flat-out, "No", on my part.

Next, she'll resort to begging. "Oh, please, Mia, please do this for me."

Which, once again, I opt for the declining option. I may be a girl, but I'm not a girl who likes or believes in romance. I've never really bought into the idea of love.

Then, she'll attempt to bribe me. "I'll buy you that car you've been saving up for."

Which is met with a little wavering on my part, since I've been saving up for that car since my fifteenth birthday, and I'm now almost eighteen. But in the end, I decide I'd rather work away my days as a busgirl and save up the old-fashioned way than to get it cheap and easy by working as an assistant at a world-renowned matchmaking company.

Finally, my mother will guilt-trip me into it. Melanie Starr is very good at guilt-tripping when she wants to. She's as conniving as a snake.

"But, Mia, it's been very hard for me since your father left. Please do this for me."

Which, ultimately, works, since I do feel guilty about my dad. Even though it's not my fault that he up and left us in the middle of the night when I was nine.

And that's the story of how I ended up sitting behind a large mahogany desk in an air-conditioned waiting-room, wearing a white button-down blouse and a black pencil skirt.  I tapped my fingers absent-mindedly on the keys as I typed on the stylish black computer I got when I started working here.

I must've looked professional, typing away on my keyboard as a bunch of people sat in chairs, waiting so that they could be invited into my mother's office to 'find their one true love.'

Cupid's Incorporated is basically a company that matches up people with others in the system to find the best results based on appearance, ethnic background, religion, interests and a series of others. They match-make for entrepreneurs, heirs and heiresses, royalty, CEOs, celebrities, and just common-folk with a bit of money. Basically, if you have the cash, then my mother has your match.

Out of all the people my mother matches up, 74% get married.

Out of that, 38% file for divorce within the first year.

About 28.5% of the people left are still married after five years.

Yes, I have been so bored sitting behind that desk that I have resorted to finding statistics within my mother's matchmaking corporation. And I thought I was a loser before summer started...

I sighed and glanced up from where I was currently writing to my best friend, Charlie, to save me from this hellhole I'd somehow ended up in.

I know what you're thinking:

What could possibly be so bad about working at a matchmaking company?

Well, think about this. I could be at the mall shopping with my friends, talking and laughing and buying things and enjoying our last summer before senior year.

Instead, I was stuck in a plush waiting-room with a bunch of rich men and women who couldn't be bothered to go out there and find their own love, so instead they came to us.

See my problem?

I'd seen the other assistants at this place. They were all pretty, ditzy girls with less personality than a white crayon. They were proper and polite and petite and smiley.

Then there was me, a gum-chewing seventeen-year-old that laughed too loud, tended to be a little insensitive, and had a huge obsession with indie music. I wore loose t-shirts with suggestive quotes or rock-bands, and the only time I ever used nail-polish was to paint my walls when I was seven and should've known better.

See? Not your average matchmaker.

I sighed as my mother walked past, followed by the cloying scent of perfume and regality.

I rolled my eyes and whispered, "Hey, mom!"

She turned to me with upraised eyebrows. "Yes, Mia?"

I shifted my gaze around nervously before saying, "I'm still getting that car, right?"

~     *     ~

Hey! New book from me :D

So, this chapter is very short because it's just kind of setting up the story, hopefully it will get longer as the story progresses.

Please keep in mind that this won't be a long book. It's not exactly a short story, but it's also not a full-fledged novel. It's more of a... novella, if you will. And I also started this when I was thirteen, so my writing has definitely matured since this. But please stick with it. You might just like it ;D

Dedicated to XMyLoveForYouXx for the awesome new cover! Thanks, I love it :)

Please vote, comment and fan if you like it.

xXx