Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter Nineteen

“Mia, I have something to tell you,” my mom informed me the next day as we both prepared to go to Cupid's Incorporated.

“Nothing good ever starts with, ‘Mia, I have something to tell you,’” I replied, stalling for time as I shiftily threw a water bottle into my briefcase.

Yes, you heard right. I had gotten a briefcase for work.

“Mia, I’m serious.”

The rest of my birthday had been an absolute dream. I went out for dinner with my mom and Charlie, and overall it had probably been my best birthday ever. I wasn’t huge on birthdays, but this one was pretty amazing.

         “What is it?” I asked, grabbing my peep-toe stilettoes from the front door that my mother made me wear to work.

“Please don’t be mad, Mia,” she said slowly as she packed a tube of lipstick into her clutch.

Those words were one of the scariest to hear from a parent. It didn’t matter who you were. Those words had the power to freak you out like nothing else. To make you think about every bad thing you had ever done in your life.

I stopped my preparations and gave her my full attention. “Yes?”

She sighed. “I’ve decided to go back out with Henry.”

For a second I just stared at her in complete and utter shock, not sure how to respond. My mouth opened and closed like a fish as I struggled to come to terms with what she had just said.

Until the truth hit me like a ton of bricks.

No. No, no, no, no, no! This was ruining my whole plan.

Henry and my mom were meant to be history! Then I could date Ashton without having to worry about scheming and planning. No more worrying about lying to my mom. Then Ashton and I could have a happy ending and my mom could find a really nice new husband that she was totally happy with and that bonded with me like a proper dad was meant to.

OK, so that was the ideal situation, but don’t blame me for having an image like that in my head! It was my fantasy.

“What?” I squeaked, eyes widening to the size of saucers. “Why?”

She sighed and brushed her long brown hair back. “Look, I know you’re not too impressed about it. But I can’t deny it; I’m falling in love with Henry. He’s amazing, and I’m just not ready to let it go yet. Please don’t be mad.”

If she thought I wasn’t going to mad, she was delusional. I was irate. She was done with Henry. She had told me they were over. He had been the cause of too many fights. He had made things too complicated. Why did he have to exist?!

I sighed, knowing it was not my place. I couldn’t decide who my mother wanted to go out with. 

What I could do, however, is completely ruin their relationship.

I needed one last master plan, one that would completely ruin their chances of ever even dreaming of getting back together.

Yes, it was devious.

Yes, it made me a horrible daughter.

But sometimes a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

“When is this date?” I asked innocently, tracing patterns on the bench-top and looking at her through my lashes.

She smiled at the fact I wasn’t yelling and throwing things around in a teenage temper tantrum. “Saturday night.”

Well, since it was Monday now, I had almost six days to get it together. I could do that, right?