Nineteen

Caleb

Dylan had a house party, a week before Christmas and invited a lot of students from school. Eve was invited too. I hadn't spoken to her for weeks and wanted to at least say something to her about that awkward time in her bedroom. It was a setup and was only the decision of my mother who had placed a recording device inside my pants. She also had men waiting a few blocks away to make sure that I did what I had to do.

I had to say I ended it for good.

I never wanted that to happen even though she caused a disaster in her bedroom. All I did was look at her and smile because she was doing this for no reason. She was still mine. She stole my heart.

It still ruined things for us and that was why she moved on after a smile. She showed me that she was capable of moving on (I doubt that.) It wasn't fine for me. I wanted her. I wanted my baby back.

"Have you seen Eve?" I asked Danny who was chilling on a couch with his cell phone, a girl beside him.

"I last saw her by the pool," he said. It was too cold for the pool. "She was alone."

It was one of those very cold, snowy days that forced you to wear something warm. I had a blue turtle neck sweater on with a black coat over it, jeans, and heavy brown boots. So I was ready to go outside to have a long and interesting talk with her. I hope she was wearing something cozy.

"Okay, thanks."

"Caleb?" Danny said. His companion had her hand all over his red hair, enjoying it. These girls loved touching. "Evelyn is not much of a talker. I tried to talk to her but she cursed me. She is pretty rude bro."

I nodded. "That is okay. I need to talk to her." I went to the pool outside and found her there.

Eve was sitting down on the cold pool floor, a small multi-colored blanket over her tender and petite body. Her hair had hair extensions that met her mid-back, a change I saw from her before the break. She turned her head to the side and I caught that beautiful round brown face that wasn't smiling.

"Hi," I said. "Can we talk?" I had no device on me. My mother thought that wasn't necessary anymore. The days I hadn't spoken to Eve slowed down the spying process. Mother thought I was done with Eve because of the new girl I had in my life.

"Talk for what?" She sneered. And that made my heart jump. Her expression was too sour for a good conversation. "Talk to your pretty White girlfriend. She will be mad if she sees you talking to your Black ex-girlfriend."

"Stop it with the race thing, Eve. It's not like that." I sat down on the floor, beside her. She now had her head turned away, her jaw set. "I cared about you. She doesn't make me feel the same way you make me feel." I reached out for her hand but she wouldn't let me. I inhaled deeply and figured out touching wouldn't heal her cold, heartbroken heart.

"Go to her. Leave me alone Caleb. I hope that tracking device you probably have on you isn't working." Oh. She figured out I had something like that. That girl was smart.

"I had to. She wanted me to put it on so she wouldn't ruin me. Baby."

"I'm sick of a boy who can't stand up for himself. That woman will rule your life forever. She wants you to keep having perfect grades, perfect-" She stopped. "Just go. I'm not the perfect girl for her son. I'm just a nobody to her. She doesn't even know me. That woman is a hater and a racist human being." She got up from the floor, dropping the adorable blanket.

Eve had a black skirt with leggings and a thick pink jacket with a hoodie and faux fur. She was beautiful. Too beautiful. I wanted to take her in my arms to eat up those delicious lips.