Chapter Four

I watched as Ariahni left in the direction of her chambers. Phaedra packed up the map, smiled at me and then retired to her chambers. Running my fingers through my hair I retired to my chambers as well. Getting through the door though, a pillow was thrown at me. Giggling filled my ears. "Serena." "Hello charming. Have you missed me?" "What are you doing here Witch? I forbid you from returning." "I missed you too my love." I grabbed her throat and held her against the wall. "Explain yourself Serena. My patience wears thin in your presence." I was forced into a kneeling position as her magic wound itself into my body. "My dear Khan. You always manage to surprise me. Have you forgotten that you can't attack a Witch?" She laughed and I struggled to move. "I've come here to share some information with you. And it involves your dear, dear little sister." "Tell me!" "Tsk, tsk, my darling. Ever so impatient." She sat down on my couch and made herself comfortable. "You know I demand a price for any information I share." "And what is your price Serena?" There was a hidden smile in the corner of her mouth as she said "Well, since you're taking an interest. It's been a long time since I visited and a long time since you've even bothered to call." She released me from her spell. "You know exactly what I want."

I stood up and put my shirt back on. "You got your price Witch. Now tell me what you know." She put her dress back on and while wiping the remains of her blood away from her neck, she gazed at my family portrait. "The lycans have grown since your sister's reign. They began by recruiting and changing men who were able and wanting work. They want so desperately to have their revenge for what she did. Your plan, it's not going to work. Ariahni; she is the key. And she must do this alone. Whatever she's walking into, you or Phaedra cannot stop because fate has declared it. This has been set in stone. She will be the one to unite or ruin the vampires and the lycans." I didn't believe it. Grabbing her wrist, I turned her around to face me. "Speak lightly Witch. Whatever damage that may befall my sister, it will not happen while I am there with her." "I say the truth, for the fates have told me so. Even if you tell Ariahni now, she will stick firm to her task at hand. You must accept that you cannot stop this and let it go." I clenched my fists. "No!" She shrugged her shoulders and threw the towel into my fireplace. "Fine. Try if you must. Who am I to stop an overprotective brother?" Placing a kiss on my cheek she disappeared and I slowly sank low into a chair. At that moment, it was as if hell guards had arrived to bring me back. It was as if my rebirth was being recalled.

&&

My door burst open. "Khan, what's wrong with you?" "We need to adjust the plans. Tell Ariahni it won't work. We'll need to try another time." I grabbed his shoulders and guided him to the couch. "Why the sudden change brother?" "My informant..." "Serena?" He looked at me. "How did you know?" "That you were getting your information from a Witch or that I know her name? I have eyes too you know. Just not the Witch kind. I thought you were done with her." "I am. She forces her way back in but, this time, her information runs true. And the fates are involved. Phaedra please. We've got to stop this." "We can't brother. Ariahni leaves tomorrow and there's nothing we can do to stop it." "But you..." "No brother. This is out of my power. I'm sorry." He put his face in his hands. His shoulders dropped. "Is this my punishment? For not being fast enough when she was injured by a lycan?" Tears wanted to pour from me but they couldn't so I hugged him. "No Khan. You are not being punished. You saved her that night. Listen. We'll stick to the plan. You will go to your alliances and train for one day. I will do the same. We meet at the mountains on the second day and instead, we will take our own scout forces into the mountains and we will find Ariahni. Okay?" He nodded. "Now, go to your chambers. Replenish yourself." He stood up and walked away. For the first time I'd seen all my brothers confidence vanish from him completely. Going to the family sanctuary, I sat down in front of my fathers coffin and attempted to communicate with him. Hopefully he would guide me with some possible battle strategies that me and Khan could use to save Ariahni despite the fates playing a part in what was about to happen.