Eighteen

Harry rubbed at his eyes as he sat in his chair in the office; his desk lamp and computer being the only things that illuminated the otherwise dark room.

"Harry." Niall seemed to be the only other person in the entire building who was still around at this late hour. Liam had left long ago to go and be with his wife and the Special Agents had decided to go and drink their sorrows away at the local bar.

Alexandra had been let out shortly after the new broadcast had finished, not even knowing why one moment she was under fire; the next she was being set free.

"What's up Niall?" Harry asked, stifling a yawn.

"I may have found a new lead on this case, but I need a couple of days to be able to figure it out." Harry suddenly felt very awake. He didn't seem to care that Niall needed time that they definitely did not have, but he was more than happy to grant the usually happy Irishman all the time he needed if it meant that he was going to be able to get a lead on this case.

"Go for it, just let me know as soon as you find out something okay?" Niall nodded, about to leave back to his cave before turning back around to his tired friend.

"Go home Harry, you're tired as hell. Go home, shower, and take some sleeping pills. God knows you're going to need it tomorrow." Everyone in the precinct had been on edge ever since the latest broadcast had gone out; they knew that it was only going to be another couple of hours until the new body showed up.

After Niall had left, Harry had taken up his friends advice, grabbing his coat and driving through the 24/7 Chinese takeaway on the way home. As he pulled up into the parking lot of his apartment building, he could see a figure sitting on the front steps, arms wrapped around their small frame, red hair blowing loosely around their face.

"Alex?" Harry approached the small red head, briefcase in hand. "It's 1am, why are you sitting on my doorstep?" He almost wanted to laugh at the situation but he stopped himself.

He couldn't make out the expression on her face too well, the only light surrounding them was one that was sitting on the wall behind her small figure, casting her face into shadow.

"I wanted to discuss today with you, and in all honesty I didn't think you would be back this late." She sounded sheepish as she responded, nervously laughing at her own stupidity.

"I'm sorry I made you wait this long but you know you could have called me. Tell you what, I have way too much food in this bag; come inside and we'll talk okay?" Had it not been for that fact that it was incredibly cold outside, Alexandra would have declined the offer and gone home; although she still wanted to talk to Harry.

Harry motioned for her to have a seat on the couch, managing to move some old files off the seats before she planted herself on the black leather.

"I'm sorry about the FBI agents questioning you today." Harry stood in the kitchen, plating up the food he had bought home with him. He was used to eating it all to himself, but now he had a guest; he felt it rude not to offer her any.

"Why was I being questioned?" Her voice was quiet, only nodding her head in thanks when Harry handed her a plate. "I thought I'd already gone over everything."

"You had, as a witness. The FBI agents wanted to cover all angles of the case; even you being our unsub." If Alexandra was not recalling a second man, then Harry didn't want to worry her further.

Alexandra on the other hand was sat on the other side of the sofa, pushing a chicken ball around the plate with a fork; having never mastered the art of chopsticks.