Fourteen

No one had managed to get any sleep that night.
The images of the victim on the screen had been flashing through people's heads and it was driving them all crazy; all but one.

Detective Harry Styles had been so desensitized to images that had appeared on the screen that they now just merged into one. It wasn't until his partner, Liam Payne, looked up from his desk that morning, motioning his head towards two men who had just entered the room; heading straight into the Captains office.

"Who are they?" Liam Payne nodded his head towards the two men. One was tall, blonde and quite muscular. The other; dark hair and a similar body stature to the other. They looked like carbon copies of one another.

"I'm fucked if I know." Harry shrugged and carried on watching the recording on his screen. He checked the footage of last nights video from the killer over and over again. He was becoming obsessed with the case too much.

"Watching that video isn't going to get you anywhere, Styles. You and I both know that. Why do you keep torturing yourself with that?" Harry didn't think Liam had any idea about his choice words, so he let it slide.

"Styles, Payne." Both detectives looked up from their desk to see the captain with his head poked around the corner. "My office." Both the detectives shared a look before following orders and closing the office door behind them; both the suited men from earlier standing in the corner of the room with their hands in their pockets.

"Mulder, Scully." Liam nodded his head at the two men; not even a smile.

"Detectives, these are agents Hemmings and Hood; from the FBI." Both the detectives suddenly dropped their smiles and stood up a little straighter. No one in the precinct liked when the FBI were there; to them it always seemed like they weren't doing their jobs properly.

"What can we do for you gentlemen?" Harry was always so formal with the FBI.

"We're from the Behavioural Analysis Unit. We want to work with you to help solve the string of murders that are going on in your city." The blond man stood forwards, holding out a manila folder. Harry knew it was everything that he already knew about the case but he took it any way, not bothering to open it and look at it.

"Behavioural Analysis? Like profiling?" Liam asked, taking the folder from Harry and opening it.

"Precisely." The brunette nodded his head but kept his hands in his pockets. "We have a profile in there that we comprised when we were first contacted by your Captain here about the case."

Harry and Liam both stole a quick glance to the Captain before putting their eyes back on the case file in Liam's hands.

"We want to make this clear; we're not here to interfere in your case; we want to only be involved if you need it."

"We're seriously getting help from these guys?" Liam looked up towards the Captain. Even though Harry himself was nothing but polite to the FBI, Liam wasn't as accepting of the help.
"Payne, you and Styles are doing good work; but you still haven't got this guy. We need all the help we can get and if the FBI is willing to help then I suggest you accept it and move on." The Captain was just as tired as everyone else in the precinct, having to deal with not only this murder but a few others; as well as dealing with all the smaller sentence crimes. Everything was really starting to get to him.

"Yes Sir." Liam crossed his arms over his chest yet still held his head up high. He knew that the FBI were only trying to help, he just didn't like the idea of it being in his back yard.

"We want to run over the case with you if that's okay?" Agent Hood stood forwards and motioned out into the bull pen. Neither detective spoke a word, they simply nodded their heads and made their way out, following the two suits into an empty office at the end of the hallway. "We wanted to talk in here, it's more private. And we only want to involve people that need to know."
"We have two people who have been helping us with this case. Louis Tomlinson is our forensic lead and Niall Horan is our computer tech." Harry informed the two agents, still not sure of their first names.

"We'll need to talk to Horan, we can patch him through with our own computer tech, Michael Clifford, he's one of the best in his field." Hemmings spoke up, pulling a black marker from the bottom of the white board in the far left hand side of the room; ready to start his 'murder board'.

"I'll give him a call." Liam still wasn't completely okay with the Agents but if he didn't cooperate, Harry was probably going to kick his ass.

"We just want to cover all angles of this. We know from Captain Stokes that you guys seemed to have narrowed down your suspect pool? Would you mind running us through what you have?" Hemmings was polite enough to the detective. He of all people understood what it was like to have other people come in to his own investigation and stir things up, but on the other hand, he also knew how important it was to try new theories.

"Not much. We know he's experienced enough with the human body to be able to do all of these tortures, be able to get the exact results he wants. But we also know that he's very skilled with computers. Niall has a hard time cracking through all the different firewalls this guy puts up when the website starts streaming. If I'm being completely honest, I barely even know how to tweet." Harry was tired, far too tired to keep his mind on any sort of path.

"How much sleep have you gotten detective?" Hood spoke up from a chair in far right of the room.

"Never enough." Harry laughed although it was half hearted.

"Go home detective, get some sleep. Have some proper food and grab some coffee when you wake up. We'll need you to be at your peak. Until then, Luke and I can run this." Agent Hood stood up and took the file off of Harry, almost like he was forcing Harry to leave. He knew he needed it, so Harry didn't protest against the agents.

"Calum will call you if we need you any sooner." Luke spoke up from the white board, already writing names on the wall and taping up pictures.

"Niall will fill you in on what we already know." Harry nodded at the two agents and made it way out of the office towards the elevators.

*

"You called?" Alexandra was stood in Harry's door way holding a bag of what looked like Chinese takeaway.

He had called her when he arrived home, wanting to make up for the lost time of the date from the night previous. "And no, I paid for this. You paid for dinner the other night."

"Difference is Alex, we didn't stay all night." Harry laughed, taking the bag and starting to grab some plates from the cupboard.

"Speak for yourself. I was starving and you'd already paid, I figured why not." She winked in his direction and threw herself onto the couch, smiling as Harry handed her the food.
"Well, glad I could help." He laughed and turned on the TV, switching to anything that didn't have news coverage about their killer.

"You have nothing new I'm guessing." Alexandra's face dropped, picking at her Chinese with a fork, she'd never truly mastered the art of chopsticks.
"I'm sorry, no, but the Captain has bought in the FBI." Alexandra dropped her fork on the plate and turned to the detective beside her.

"The FBI is here?"

"Yeah, they arrived first thing this morning. Captain thought it was a good idea to bring them in. They have excellent resources and they can help to build not only a personal profile of the guy we're looking for but also a geographical profile." Harry continued eating, completely ignoring the confused look on his dates face.
"Harry, what on Earth is geographical profiling?" She laughed, her mood lightening slightly. Harry could only assume it was because the Captain had bought in the 'big guns'.

"Sorry, I forget most people don't speak cop," He laughs and turns the TV onto the film channels. "it's basically where they take the two furthest disposal sites and create a diameter for a circle in which would be the 'comfort zone' of the killer. It helps us locate where they live." Harry explained, ignoring how silent Alexandra had gotten.
"Seriously, they can figure out where they live from that? That is so cool." She beamed, digging into the duck on her plate.

"It is pretty awesome, I'll agree on that." Harry smiled.

It was hard for Harry to talk about the case with someone like Alexandra, especially because of how close she was to the case. He knew that she wanted to know about what was going on, she needed to know what was going on. Maybe it was to help her find some sort of closure for what happened to her, maybe it was because she wanted to know exactly how close the police were to catching the guy just so she could feel safe again. Although, he didn't blame her; he would be feeling exactly the same way.