Chapter 8

It was already Tuesday and they were just waiting for the results of the EEG that Sebastian underwent just yesterday. The MRI scans were done last Sunday as promised but the EEG test was done only yesterday, a day later. Sam was still reviewing the results of Baste's EEG. He needed at least a day or so to determine all the patterns that Baste's brain waves were showing on the EEG.

Baste was currently playing with his granddad, Maine's father, Teodoro – who, together with Nanay Mary Ann, decided to stay in Manila longer, to spend time with Baste in the private executive suite RJ was able to secure for him.

Baste's speech was back to normal except for the occasional falter in his words now and then. On the whole – when one would look at Sebastian – he was normal as he could be and no one would even think that he was undergoing tests to determine what kind of degenerative disease he had.

Maine's eyes never lost its puffiness anymore from crying most of the time. RJ had eyebags from not sleeping so much, which wasn't entirely new to him, being a doctor and all. Nanay Mary Ann was simply observing her daughter and son-in-law, wanting to help but did not really know where to start. Right now though, they were quietly observing Baste from the dining area of the suite, sipping hot tea. There was tension in the air between the couple that was palpable. The stress and sleeplessness were probably finally getting to them.

"Maine," RJ said, breaking the silence. Maine turned towards him, questioningly. "I forgot to tell you pero may naka-schedule akong operation on Thursday," he continued quietly, to which Maine only raised a brow.

RJ sighed. "I can re-schedule it pero as much as possible, wag sana. Kasi it's a glioma removal for one of Sam's patients. An 11-year old little girl. Matagal na kasi iyon na naka-schedule."

Maine simply shrugged. "Dito lang din ba sa St. Luke's?"

"Oo," RJ nodded tiredly. "If the operation is successful, I should be back here in the afternoon. 5am ang naka-schedule sa amin eh."

"Fine," Maine answered shortly. "Since it's scheduled na – wala naman akong magagawa na diba? I just hope you give your son the same attention as you do your patients."

RJ narrowed his eyes. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Maine shrugged once more, taking her lukewarm tea in hand and sipping a bit, not looking any longer at RJ. Nanay Mary Ann, sensing a fight brewing, held onto her daughter's arm and looked at RJ, shaking her head a bit – telling him to not continue with this conversation anymore.

RJ, perhaps not seeing Nanay Mary Ann or simply ignoring her entirely, said quietly, addressing his wife, "You know that I am doing everything for our son. I've been making sure that he gets all the tests done immediately so we could determine what is ailing him. Ang dami ko ng kinakausap na mga colleagues ko para matulungan tayo." He stood up and went towards the kitchen sink behind him, taking with him his cup. "You're the one who is in denial of everything and trying to blame everyone about what's going on with Sebastian. When you, as his mother, should have known that something was wrong with him when he started becoming lethargic and having headaches."

Maine stood up, suddenly seething. "How dare you –"

"M-mo-mommy? A-are you a-and d-da-daddy ok?"

Maine, her back towards Baste, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she faced him, she already had a smile on her face, though not quite reaching her eyes. She went to him and held his face in her hands, kissing his nose. "Yes, baby. We're ok. Anong nilalaro niyo ni Lolo? Pwedeng sumali?"

RJ, on the other hand, had his hands gripping the kitchen counter tightly, his knuckles turning white. He had his head bowed, eyes closed and he was taking deep breaths as well, trying to calm himself. Nanay Mary Ann slowly approached him and patted his back, looking concerned. RJ turned to look at his mother-in-law and smiled tightly. "Pasensya na po, Nay. Kailangan niyo pang makita yun."