Prologue

"ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DID WHAT I HAD TO DO"

//

Nicomaine Mendoza-Faulkerson was running.  She was almost out of breath but she didn't care.  She was sprinting through the parking lot of St. Luke's Medical Center in BGC, weaving her way through numerous parked cars.  She almost slipped and bumped into one of the cars but she continued on, not minding the pain in her hip.  She had to get to the ER.  Quickly.

Oh, god.  Please let him be all right.  Please do not let anything happen to him.  I beg you.

She was panting by the time she reached the nurses' station in the ER.  As most emergency rooms of hospitals – this one was also packed and it took a while before an available nurse was able to accommodate her. 

"Please, I need to know about my son's condition," Maine pleaded, her eyes on the verge of tears. 

"Name?" the nurse on duty asked.

"Sebastian.  Sebastian Faulkerson.  I was told that he was admitted roughly an hour ago.  Tinawagan ako ng school niya and they just told me to go straight here," she explained.

She must be new. She thought when the nurse didn't recognize her immediately. 

The nurse simply nodded as she started to look through the records on her computer.  When she finally found Sebastian's name, she motioned for her to continue onto the third floor of the main hospital building where the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit was and to check with the nurses' station there.  She said that they transferred Sebastian there immediately after checking in the ER. 

"He's in PICU?!" Maine exclaimed but didn't stay to listen to the nurse's reply.  She immediately sprinted towards the elevators; her eyes were starting to get blurry with tears.

Why is he in PICU?  The school said he just blacked out and possibly hit his head on one of the tables, hence the ER.  That couldn't warrant a PICU aI dmission not unless sobrang lala nung nangyari.

God, please.  Take care of Sebastian.  Take care of my baby.  Take care of my baby boy. 

Hindi ko kakayanin kapag nawala siya.

//