Chapter 1

Friday afternoon, 3 days earlier...

"Hi, mommy," Sebastian tiredly said, as he came inside their house, after being dropped off by his school bus. The 9-year old took a banana from their fruit basket and started munching on it. 

Maine turned around from her cooking, smiling but suddenly frowned when she saw her son's pale pallor. She put the stove burner on low where her pot of sinigang was boiling and walked over to where Sebastian was sitting by their kitchen counter.

She kissed his forehead before hugging him sideways. "What happened to soccer practice? Akala ko mamaya ka pa uuwi. Hindi naman tumawag ang school bus mo na maaga ka pala today."

"I'm tired, mom," the kid replied, smiling back at his mother, leaning on her shoulder all the while continuing on eating his banana. "Si daddy po, nasaan?"

"He's pulling a double-shift today. Plus alam ko may operation siya this afternoon so malamang mamayang gabi na 'yun uuwi," Maine answered as she started to rub Sebastian's arms. "You look pale, anak, parang mainit ka. You want to lie down muna? I'll have yaya call you pag ready na ang dinner."

"Anong operation ni dad, ma? Do you know?" Sebastian perked up a bit, ignoring the last part of Maine's suggestion. He had always been fascinated with his dad's line of work, always asking questions about what his dad did on operations, poring over some of his dad's old college medical books.

Maine simply smiled and shook her head at her son. "Hindi ko alam, Baste. Alam mo naman ang daddy mo – he wouldn't really tell since may patient privacy and all diba? Pero most likely, may tumor na naman na tatanggalin yun. You can ask him tomorrow, off naman niya."

"I wonder kung yung tumor ay cancerous. Atsaka kung anong part ng brain ang tatanggalan ng tumor. Madali daw po kung sa may bandang grey matter eh," the kid said, suddenly excited – his eyes sparkling a bit as he wondered about what his dad was currently doing at that moment. 

Maine chuckled and ruffled her son's hair. "You can ask your dad that bukas, ok? For now, I suggest you rest for a bit in your room. Malapit na rin matapos itong sinigang na baboy na niluluto ko." She then felt for her son's forehead and frowned. "Baste, you're really quite warm. Go na, change clothes and lie down. I'll have yaya bring up some paracetamol for you." 

Sebastian nodded, his shoulders suddenly sagging as he slowly dragged his feet up the stairs towards his room, head bowed. Maine frowned, quite concerned about the way her son was suddenly acting. He started to be this way only this week, just when school was only a month in.

"Yaya Pearl!" Maine called for their househelp, her own yaya from when she was still a child, who couldn't really leave her even up to now when she had a family of her own.

"Meng, bakit?" Yaya Pearl peeked from around the corner, her hands full with a potted plant in each. "Inaayos ko lang itong mga halaman mo sa labas. Nakalimutan mo itong mga ito na ilagay sa may arawan."

"I'm sorry Yaya, dami lang iniisip," Maine replied, smiling at her now quite old but still stern and jolly yaya. "Favor naman, pakidalhan si Baste ng paracetamol sa kwarto niya. Mukhang may sinat. Tsaka eto rin – paakyat na rin ng bag niya, yaya. Malapit na rin naman matapos itong niluluto ko."

"Hay naku, yang anak mo talaga," Yaya Pearl intoned. "Kahapon ko pa napansin na hindi maganda ang pakiramdam nyan. Sabi ko nga kaninang umaga nung ginising ko eh – wag na munang pumasok," she continued as she placed the potted plants on the floor close to the kitchen door leading to the backyard patio. "Pero makulit, ayaw papigil. May quiz daw siya sa science. Eh hindi na kita ginising dahil alam kong pagod ka galing dun sa isang birthday na nagpaluto sayo kahapon."