Chapter 4

The following day, Maine was beside Baste's sleeping form, holding his little hand in hers. He was transferred that morning to a regular room in the Pediatric section of the hospital after removing him from an induced coma in PICU. She was told that any time now, Baste could wake up when he feels like it. There wasn't anything to do at that moment except wait.

So there she was. Waiting.

RJ dropped her off at St. Luke's early that morning, after taking a quick detour to their home for a shower and a little nap, after which – he continued on to go to The Asian Hospital to make his rounds for his patients there. He told her that he would go back to St. Luke's as soon as he finishes his rounds.

At that moment, Maine was browsing through her phone in one hand while caressing Baste's hand in the other with her thumb. They removed all the tubes that were connected to him, leaving him with just the regular IV, dripping casually towards his left arm. The nurses had also cleaned him up, changing his hospital gown and giving him a sponge bath as well.

Maine looked up from her phone to gaze at her son. She smiled, thankful that even though he wasn't entirely out of the woods yet, he was at least out of ICU. He looked so peaceful and angelic, like he was just sleeping and nothing was wrong with him, on that big hospital bed.

She checked on the clock on Baste's room and noticed that it was already past 9AM. 2 more hours and RJ's rounds at The Asian Hospital would be done and he would be well on his way back to them. Maine stood up and stretched a bit, still holding onto Baste's hand. She needed to pee. She had been sitting for almost 3 hours now, doing nothing really. Except wait. She leaned down to kiss Baste's forehead, while whispering, "Punta lang si mommy sa CR, baby ok? I'll be back in a jiffy."

Closing the door to the en-suite restroom in Baste's hospital room, she quickly texted RJ to let him know that there weren't any changes as of yet. She then did her business and when she went out, she saw one of the nurses checking on her son's vitals.

"Ay, mommy. Nandyan po pala kayo," the nurse cheerfully said.

"Hello, nurse..." Maine looked at the nurse's name tag. "Nurse Joanne. Kamusta na siya? Alam mo ba kung gigising na siya anytime soon?"

"He's doing ok naman po, mommy," Nurse Joanne replied, smiling back at Maine while she was fiddling with Baste's IV drip, making sure it was still dripping properly. "His vitals are all normal. Hintayin na lang po natin siya sa paggising. Siya lang po kasi talaga ang makakapag-decide kung kalian niya gustong gumising. It should be anytime soon na po since wala na po yung drug na ginamit for his coma in his system."

"That's good to know. Thank you Nurse Joanne."

"You're welcome po. Iwan ko po muna kayo, mommy, ok? Balik na lang po ulit ako mamaya," Nurse Joanne said as she was walking towards Baste's door.

"Sige, Joanne – salamat."

When they were left alone, Maine resumed her position of sitting beside Baste and holding onto his hand. She was about to go back to reading one of her e-books on her phone when she felt Baste's forefinger move. She stopped what she was doing and looked immediately at Baste, frowning because she thought she just imagined it. But then she felt it again and this time, he also moved his head a bit to the side, a little groan coming out of his closed lips.

Maine's eyes widened. She immediately pushed the call button on his headboard, to let them know that Baste was waking up. Once done, she held on to him with both hands, tears starting to cascade down her cheeks, urging him to open his eyes.

"Come on, baby. Wake up for mommy."

After a few moments of Baste groaning, his eyelids then fluttered – finally, he opened his eyes and looked groggily at Maine. "Mommy?" he croaked.