Chapter 5

The following day found Maine and RJ together with Sebastian at home, after getting discharged from the hospital the night before. Sam wanted Sebastian to stay for one more day for observation but Maine insisted that they finish all observations yesterday so that Sebastian could finally go home that night. Sam acquiesced and finding that everything seemed normal with Baste, signed his release papers and sent him home with his parents, much to the joy of Maine.

He, however, reiterated with Maine that whenever Sebastian seemed sick again or had symptoms of confusion, memory loss and/or fainting spells – to take him back to the hospital to get treated immediately. Maine of course just brushed it off and agreed albeit grudgingly – saying that her son looked well already and not to worry too much.

RJ took the week off and delegated all his rounds and other scheduled operations with other neurosurgeons in his field. Wanting to stay with his family and to watch over Maine and Baste as well. He cooked breakfast that morning much to the delight of Sebastian.

"Daddy!" screamed Sebastian as he was running down the stairs towards the kitchen, smelling the frying bacon. "You're home!"

RJ laughed and hugged his son to his side when he came barreling towards him. "Of course, Baste. Gusto ko naman makasama kayo ni mommy mo kaya this week I'll be home with you. Hindi ko ba nasabi sa iyo kagabi?"

Baste shook his head, still clinging to his dad. "I was sleepy na po when we got home last night eh."

RJ chuckled and slightly pushed his son away. "O siya, sige na – call Yaya Pearl and ask her to help you na mag-set na ng table for breakfast. Si mommy mo?"

"Nasa room niyo pa po ata," Baste answered as he started to walk towards the dining room. "Yaya Pearl! Yaya Pearl! Yaya!"

RJ continued to chuckle as he watched his son skip and run to look for his yaya. He then returned to the stove to check on his bacon. He also began whisking some eggs in a bowl to scramble and fry. A little while later, he felt two skinny arms circle his waist.

"I think I like you home a lot more," Maine tiptoed to whisper in his ear, giving him a kiss on his nape after.

RJ smiled and turned his head a bit to give her a proper good morning kiss before returning to whisking the eggs. "Naisip ko lang na bigyan ka ng konting break. Tsaka madali lang naman ito. Breakfast lang."

"Si Baste?"

"Baka nasa dining na kasama si yaya," RJ answered, putting the whisked eggs on the heated pan on the stove. "Hindi mo ba siya papapasukin this week?"

Maine walked away from him and towards the counter where the brewed coffee that RJ made was. She took out a mug from their cupboard and started to fix some coffee for herself. "Hindi muna baka hanggang bukas. Kailangan niya ng pahinga. Plus you're home which is a rarity so maganda na makapag-bonding tayo as a family." She then took a small sip from her mug and moaned appreciatively. "You brew coffee better than I do," she commented.

"You cook better though," he answered teasingly, winking at her direction to which she chuckled. "So sa Friday – baka papasukin mo na si Baste?"

Maine shrugged. "Depends. Kung ok na ang pakiramdam niya, bakit hindi. Pero baka hindi na rin kasi last day na yun for the week. Dire-diretsohin ko na siguro at next week na lang siya pumasok. I called his school na naman and they are aware of what happened," she took another sip from her coffee mug and sat on the kitchen counter across RJ. "Kanina though when I woke him up, medyo groggy siya. Although sabi ni Sam normal yun for the next few days given na nauntog siya ng matindi the other day. I was surprised when I heard him ran downstairs kanina nung nalaman niya na nandito ka."

"Excited lang yung bata, syempre," RJ replied, plating the eggs with the bacon and the fried rice he was keeping warm in the oven. "Minsan lang niya akong makita ng weekday ng umaga eh." He then started to walk towards the dining room, holding both plates in his hands. "Tara na. Kain na muna tayo. And then let's see kung anong pwedeng gawin ngayon."

Maine beamed at him and followed him out towards the dining room where they saw Sebastian together with Yaya Pearl fixing the dining table. After which, they started to pray as a family and eat breakfast together. Laughter and stories were heard all throughout that morning on the table.

//

Maine was smiling as she observed her little family. Sebastian was laughing at one of RJ's lame attempts at a joke. She took a sip from her glass of orange juice that Yaya Pearl brought out for her a while ago.

This was what she wanted. Her family whole and together. She was content seeing her family simply happy like this.

She could see however how Sebastian wasn't exactly up to par with how he usually was. Like something wasn't exactly right with him. He was getting tired a lot more lately, occasionally complaining about a headache. Plus he wasn't as energetic as he used to be. There were also times when he would get quiet all of a sudden, unlike his usual bubbly self. When asked if he was ok, he would look up, smile and say that yes – he was just fine.

She furrowed her brow a little when she remembered the little incident this morning when she woke him up. She shook him lightly to get him to wake up and prepare for the day, but he didn't budge immediately. Maine didn't think any of that as Baste was a heavy sleeper so it took her at least three tries before she was able to get a response out of him. What alarmed her a little was when he woke up and he looked at her like he didn't know her. Baste didn't voice it out but there was a question in his eyes as well as a little bit of fear as he stared at her.

The fear was what got to Maine. Why would her son be afraid of her? Then Baste shook his head a bit and closed his eyes again. Maine had to shake him once more and when he opened his eyes the second time around, this time – he smiled and said, "Morning Mama" to which she sighed in relief.

Still, that first incident of Baste not immediately recognizing her didn't sit well with her. She was still frowning, thinking about it when she happened to glance at RJ, whose eyes were now full of concern directed towards her.

"Are you ok?" he mouthed at her, gesturing with his head at the frown that was marring her face.

She shook her head marginally and smiled a little to let him know she was ok. RJ then returned his attention to Baste who was now regaling him with stories about his last soccer practice.

She needed to talk to her husband about this later. She didn't want to believe about what RJ told her the other day about Baste's MRI findings, thinking that there must be a mistake. Even doctors could make mistakes, right? But still – she had to let RJ know about what happened this morning. She needed to make sure that her son would be all right in the long run.

//