Chapter 2: Genevieve

Yesterday, I made an amazing discovery. I was walking around on our small island when I came upon a small precipice, covered with vines. When I peeled the vines away, thinking that I would come upon a wall of rock, I was instead met with a small hole, just big enough for my fist to fit through it. Curious, I decided to take a look at the hole, because the type of rock that the fist sized hole was in was definitely too hard to be eroded by water alone, and therefore at least a semi-corrosive chemical of some type should be infused with the water that eroded the rock, or possibly the substance was not infused with water at all, and instead it lay in the rock and slowly eroded the rock.

It was very possible that there was a pin-prick sized hole which slowly leaked out the substance and it was also very possible that over time, the back of the hole had slowly thinned out, leaving a good possibility of there being almost a paper thin layer of rock between the substance that caused the erosion to take place. Suddenly, a thought rammed itself into my mind.

My eyes fell to the floor as they looked for a large stick that could be used to dig at the back of the hole in hopes that the chemical would make itself known. Of course, the chemical could just be something that isn’t special at all or the supposed chemical might not even be there, but it was worth a try. Finally, my eyes landed upon the sight of a long, sturdy looking stick which had very dark bark. Picking it up, I made my way over to the hole which I had wondered from in hopes of finding a stick. I poked the stick into the rather large hole and slowly I began to prod at the back of it, hoping that my theory of a paper thin layer of rock was true, because if so, it would be very easy to break the rock and find the source of the chemical.

Taking the stick out of the hole a little bit, I rammed the stick back into the hole with as much force as I could. The rock didn’t break. I tried once more, exerting as much power into pushing the stick as possible, but again; nothing.

“Third time lucky.” I whispered to myself, wringing my hands in preparation of stabbing the hole once more. Taking a deep breath, I pushed the stick hard into the back of the hole.

Suddenly, a small trickle of liquid came out of the rock. Before I could react, a small amount went onto my skin. Alarmed, I quickly tried to scrub it off, knowing that because it was corrosive that a burn would be on my arm for at least the next few weeks. Strangely enough, as I looked down, I noticed that my arm wasn’t in pain at all. But that wasn’t what surprised me most. Instead, what got my attention was the ocean blue liquid matter that balanced on my arm, not falling to the ground. Moving my arm to the left, I was left in utter shock as the small droplets of liquid moved back to the top of my arm, as if they were trying not to fall. Fascinated, I opened my backpack and took out two small vials, filling them to the brim from the small trickle of blue that was starting to die out.

Deciding that I had had enough fresh air for one day, I raced back to the old little shack that I called my home with my new discovery in the front pocket of my backpack.

As soon as I got home, I tested the stuff on small disks, playing with it and toying with it. It absolutely amazed me. When I separated the substance into individual drops, they would move and clot together, and when I prodded the clot with a needle, it wouldn’t penetrate unless lots of strength was used to push it inside, and taking out the needle was even haarder. When I put a vial over a single droplet and block it’s access to the others to stop them from clotting, they became corrosive of their own accord and would join together. The chemical acted like a living organism, but when tested, it showed no signs of life whatsoever. The final test I conducted was a blood test. Taking my blood, I infused it with a single drop of the new chemical. What happened next would be the strangest and most phenomenal action to have ever happened in the history of science.