V. Packing

Kim SeokJin and his parents packed up his things in silence. Eomma and Appa Kim have not uttered a single word since their son admitted that he was drawn to the same sex. At first, Jin tried to play it off as a joke, but he knows that his parents know better.

His mother slowly folded Jin's clothes and set them inside a suitcase while his father threw his other belongings in boxes, not caring if he breaks anything. The silence between them was deafening.

"Can you guys say please talk to me? I can't take this silent treatment any longer! Say something," Jin pleaded, looking at his parents. He was desperate to make his parents acknowledge his existence again.

His father abandoned the near-empty shelves and made his way over to the other side of the small room where Jin stood. He spat, "What do you want me to say, huh?"

Jin's vocal chords strained, "Anything!"

Smack! The impact shook his skull and rattled his brain. It felt as if his left cheek was on fire. Tears welled up in his eyes as he brought his hand to where his father had slapped him. He couldn't believe that this was happening.

His mother was furious at what she saw. How dare her husband hit their child. She lit, "Don't you dare lay another finger on him!"

"Oh shut up, woman, would you? Maybe this will knock some sense into him!" He, once again, struck his son across his face; only this time on the opposite cheek.

"Appa, please. I'm sorry," Jin spluttered, his cheeks now red with a steady flow of tears. His father, then, smacked Jin's mouth, hitting higher than he meant to. Jin's nose hurt more than his mouth. Unintentionally, Appa Kim had busted his son's nose.

"Don't you dare call me 'appa,'" he fumed, watching as his son doubled over and dropped to his knees, sobbing hysterically. He noticed the blood, but, quite frankly, he didn't care.

Jin's father had been violent with him for the first time in his entire life. Not only that, but his father has also disowned him. Kim Seokjin is absolutely crushed. If he had known this is how things would turn out, he would have taken his secret to his grave.

Another loud smack sounded in the room. This time, Jin was not the victim. Slowly, he lifted his head and couldn't believe his eyes. His father was holding his right cheek with a stunned expression directed towards his mom.

With tears streaming down her angry face, Eomma Kim balled her fists up. "How could you?" She was livid. "He is our son!"

His father screamed, "Not anymore!" Then, he did the unimaginable. He pushed his wife hard enough to make her fall on the ground. Appa Kim hit a woman. Not just any woman, but his wife. Feeling defeated, the woman buried her face in her hands and sobbed hysterically.

Never have his parents ever fought like this. Sure, there were a few arguments from time to time, but never any screaming, and most definitely no violence.

"Get out," his father growled. "This is not your home anymore. Don't even think about moving into those dorms, either. You're not my child and I'm not going to pay for you."

Seokjin scrambled to his feet and zipped up the half-full on his bed. He grabbed his DS and phone charger off the floor, and grabbed his car keys off his desk. After slinging his backpack over his shoulders, he was gone, leaving behind a trail of blood from his nose. Not once did he look back.

He furiously shoved his suitcase and backpack in the trunk and slammed it shut before sliding into the driver's seat and starting the car. With nowhere to go, he drove around aimlessly with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding his nose shut.