Just Do It For The Memories

Michael's POV

"Alright, we'll raise her anti-psychosis medication just a bit." The psychiatrist instructed us, "15 milligrams once a day.  We'll keep her antidepressants the same.  Does that sound okay to you guys?"

"That sounds good." Ashton said from backstage of wherever he was.  I nodded, agreeing with Ashton and the doctor.

We were having a joint skype call.  It was Rae and I, Ashton, and the psychiatrist.  Ashton had dropped off Rae's medication around 6:30 this morning.  After taking it, Rae calmed down a lot.  I let her sleep for a few hours before making her take a shower and come down.

The psychiatrist said that last night was a pretty standard example of what happens when a schizophrenic goes off their medication.  Increased visual and auditory hallucinations confusion, distrust in people, those type off things.  I still felt really guilty that I had let this happen.  I felt like it was all my fault.

"I would also suggest that she does a skype call with one of our therapists at least once a week."  The psychiatrist continued, "Tour is bound to be stressful for her and I think she would benefit from  therapy."

"Hey, I got to go." Ashton looked over his shoulder, "They're going to start the interview soon.  Thanks so much, doc."

"No problem." He said, "Do any of you have other questions or concerns?"

"I don't think so." Ashton said and looked over to us, "Rae?  Michael?"

Rae shook her head, "I'm good."

"I'm with Rae." I replied.

"Alright then.  Since you guys don't have any other questions, I think that should be it for today.  Feel free to contact us if there's another issues and please make sure she takes the medication."

The psychiatrist logged off and after saying a short goodbye, so did Ashton.  It was just Rae and I.  She yawned and turned to me.

"I'm tired." Rae said and drummed her fingers lightly on the armrest of the couch.

"Go take another nap." I told her, "You had an episode of psychosis.  That takes up a lot of energy.  We have to leave in a couple hours, I'll wake you up before then."

"Thank you Mikey." She gave me a lazy hug, "You're the best.  Sorry about last night."

"Don't apologize.  You have a mental illness.  You can't help yourself." I assured her.

I don't want Rae feeling guilty about having a break in stability.  It's not her fault that she has schizophrenia.  She's been through some pretty traumatic stuff.  The fact that she could get out of it alive is a feat in itself.

Rae shrugged and got off the couch, "Whatever.  I'm going to sleep in your room, by the way."

To be completely honest, I wasn't feeling my best today.  Last night kept playing over and over in my head like some sort of a twisted record. 

The thing that bothered me the most was that the fact that she thought I was her abusive father.  I know that she was hallucinating and she wasn't thinking right....but it still really bothered me.  Do I remind her of him sometimes?  I knew it, I'm not good enough for her.  She deserves a better friend and brother.

I noticed a shattered iPhone on the floor.  It was pink, so I knew it had to be Rae's.  I remember waking up in the middle of the night to a crashing noise.  That must have been the noise.  Part of me knew that I should clean up the phone, but the other part wanted to do nothing other than lay on the couch.

After about 10 minutes, I finally got up and picked the pieces of the broken phone the floor.  I hate how my mind is a constant battleground.  The dark side is in a constant war with the light.  Sometimes the dark side wins, sometimes the light does.  Other times there is no victor and I'm forced to make a short lived truce.

My thumb absentmindedly ran over an old scar on my wrist.  I froze at the sensation.  I haven't hurt myself in a really long time, but it was tempting to do so now.  Tour is coming and tour causes a lot of stress.  I was worried both for me and for her.  If I can't keep myself together, then how is she supposed to?

Reject's POV

I think the one thing I'd never thought I would have is a real and true family.  When I was young I had always felt alone and scared.  I never felt truly safe.  I was always on the run or thinking of a way to escape in case I needed it.  The voice in my head had told me not to trust anyone.  That all I needed was myself and that's it.

But then these four boys adopted me

Ever since the beginning, no matter how I distanced myself, they showed me love.  My foster homes did too but it was never like this.  They didn't just leave me alone in my room all day, they actually included me in their activities and tried to involve themselves in mine.  That showed that they cared about my interests and the person I am.  No one had ever done that for me.

There were some bad moments, like the whole incident with Luke.  I must have been really mentally ill.  I can't even imagine thinking any of that stuff about him now.  Luke is a great guy.  They all are.  I've also made friends that I'd never thought I would have.  Rain is so nice and like a sister to me.   I want her to be here with me so we can take on the world together.

Alex is a different story.  I've read romance novels before and they also say the guy is perfect and amazing in every single way.  He's her knight in shining amour.  Alex isn't that, he's far from it.  Most of the time I'm the one that has to try to stop an alter switch or tell him it's okay.  But I still get that funny feeling in my stomach from even thinking of him.  It's a weird feeling and I'm not sure what it is, but I like it.

I don't know what is going to come for me in the future.  I don't know who I'll meet or what will happen.  But I do know that I have four people that love me and will get me through no matter what.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright guys, here's the end of Broken Pieces!! 

thank you guys so much for supporting this fic.  It really means a lot to me