Chapter 4 - The Return

"Akai? Is that you?"

Akane froze. Her mind started racing, trying to process what was happening. Fear, shock, she couldn't even explain the emotion. That voice... she never met him in person, but she knows who he is.

Years. More than 5 years since he was gone. How could be? How come he's alive?! He should be dead. He was declared dead.

He was the only one who could keep her at bay... Akane was happy knowing that he died, making things easier for her to control Akai. He was the only one who could control her.

"How..?" Akane asked, her grip tightened around the hilt of her sword. Her voice was full of hate, malice, but also disbelief.

"They never found my body, do they?" He asked. Akane's body began to tremble, as she heard the footsteps coming closer.

Terror entered her system. Unlike Akai, she got no chance against this man, except if she could succeed in a surprise attack. Take the risk or not?

Well, she had no choice.

Akane immediately turned, pulling out her giant sword and swung the blade towards the man. As the metal touched his skin, he bursted into water.

Akane lost.

The man re-appeared behind her, and before she could react, he already had his fingers around her neck, hitting a certain pressure point which stopped her from being able to use her Hozuki kekkei genkai. His other hand was holding her wrists tightly behind her back, so that she couldn't move at all. Akane gritted her teeth, her fingers finally dropped her sword in defeat.

The man sighed, and kicked the blade away. She could feel his eyes on her, while he let out a small disappointed huff.

"Ah, it's getting out of control. Akai, can you hear me? If you can, nod your head."

Akane cringed, as her head nodded a little without her command. Akai still had a little control over her physical body, and this pissed Akane off.

"Alright. I'm sure you haven't forgot who I am."

"I would never." A small whisper escaped from Akane's lips. The voice was much more softer than hers, definitely Akai's.

Akane glared, as he turned to look at her. His light purple eyes met her red ones, and she quickly avoided his stern gaze.

"Akai, if you need my help, close your eyes. If you don't, blink. This red-eyed girl doesn't seem like she's listening to you."

Akane bit her lip, trying her best to keep her eyes open. But the urge was too strong, and finally she gave in. Akane could feel two fingers touching her forehead, a burning sensation entering her system.

In front of her, inside her mind, was Akai, sitting on the ground with her legs crossed, looking very calm and collected despite what surrounded them.

"You knew all along, didn't you?!" Akane accused in anger, "You knew that he's alive, that's why you didn't stop me!"

Akai shook her head. "I don't. I'm just as shocked as you." she replied, "You don't care about our deal. You took over during my turn, you hurt my comrades, you're the one who started the problem.

Akane hardened her glare.

"I told you, didn't I? I gave up, Akane. I'm tired of fighting you. I hate you, but I'm tired of having this battle every single day." Akai said, "But for now, just now, let me talk to him. I miss him, Akane."

"I don't care. He should be dead, and he should stay dead."

Akai sighed. "Just wait here, Akane. I'll see you later." She stated, her body soon disappeared.