Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

The feeling of ominousness was lingering in the October air, the temperature dwindling down to that of winter time. I had been curled up in my duvet reading not a half-hour earlier, and I wished so desperately to climb back in bed. But I had already promised James that I would accompany him to the fair tonight, and I had to get ready.

It was the Halloween Festival which was set up each year around this time. Activities consisted of costume contests, pumpkin carving, carnival rides, haunted forests, and things of that sort. I usually find a delightful joy in these festivities, seeing that October was my favorite month. Besides the events of my birthday and Halloween, the splatters of color throughout the trees and the perfect sweater weather along with the smell of nighttime bonfires made the season wonderful.

But this year Halloween was of much less important as I was otherwise occupied, my life seeming to hold more terror than any haunted house. But it could serve as a nice break, so I figured I'd give it a try. It could be fun.

I tried to think about all of the positives that could come out of this evening in hopes of mustering up some excitement. But instead my mind was filled yet again with thoughts entirely different. Thoughts of Harry.

The hold his alluring attributes had on me seemed to grow tighter and tighter each minute I spent with him. And to think of his reaction to the chocolate bar I'd given him made my heart melt at his ethereal smile and infectious laugh. He had a hold on me and I couldn't seem to shake out of his grasp. I knew what he was doing to me, and I felt like Harry knew it, too. It may have been by accident, or maybe intentional. But there was something there.

I lusted for him, that was evident from the start. His perfect large hands and pouty lips and divine figure, not to mention the dark rasp of his sexy voice, made it almost impossible not to. Especially when he made lascivious remarks that had ignited the flush in my cheeks so many times before.

But that wasn't all. He was intelligent, possibly even more so than any of the guards or nurses. He was never caught off guard or taken by surprise, seeming to have a cynical wiseness that allowed him more knowledge than was safe for someone like him to posses. He was also confident in such a way that demanded attention and submission from others without him being cocky or arrogant.

On the contrary to his seemingly darker side, there was a certain charm and likeness to him held within his dimpled smile that stirred up something deeper than sexual fantasies. He could be so adorably charming, causing my affection for him to grow with each second.

But a thought kept picking at me like a thorn in my mind. He had done something to make James fear him more than he had before. Even though I had been lucky enough to witness this lighter side of him, there was also another part that seemed to be more dominant. The side that drew from him more of a darkness, more of a maliciousness that made people fear him. It was this side and this intelligence that led me to believe he was capable of murder. And not only the murder that he had been sent to this institution for, but the murdering of the poor women that had been skinned and then locked in the basement of Wickendale.

If it hadn't been James, then who else could it have been? Thomas? Brain? Kelsey even? Lori?

None of these options seemed to be correct, but anything was possible at this point. Harry just held the essence of trouble, and he had been founded guilty by a jury and judge of such a crime already. Yet again, though, in that option there was still some doubt. I didn't know how, but there was. Because if I truly believed Harry was the culprit, why had I stayed? Why had I willingly sat with him everyday for almost two hours if I thought he was a cold-hard killer? If I had undoubtedly believed that he had skinned three women, I wouldn't have continued to play board games and cards with him, which were often forgotten with conversation taking its place. And I had seen the looks the guards were giving me. They frowned upon my apparent liking to Harry, knowing that it was wrong of me to be laughing and associating with someone like him. But I had still come back regardless. Because there was something that drew me back to him.