Chapter 27

HIII GUYS SO I'LL BE STUDYING FOR MIDTERMS THIS WEEK AND NEXT WEEK SO THIS CHAPTER AND NEXT WEEKS CHAPTER WILL BE SHORT SO I APOLOGIZE AND ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AMAZING SUPPORT AND NICE COMMENTS I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH

CHAPTER 27

James led us through hallways as we trailed behind, and I just prayed that he would take us to our cells and nothing more; although I doubted it. Once we had walked through the third hall the lights grew dimmer, and Harry and I both looked at one another, puzzled.

"Uh, neither of our cells are back here," Harry told him, and I was proud of him for controlling his anger. Or at least, so far.

I had been clinging on to any small piece of hope that I could grasp, hope that James wouldn't risk doing us any harm. But that hope disintegrated when he stopped dead in his tracks, forcing us to stop behind him.

"I know," he said. And my heart threatened to beat out of my chest with the fear of what was to come. It was crazy, really, how little I knew James. I had been so quick to trust him, so naive these previous months. And I could only help but wonder, would we have still been in this danger, would Harry still hate James this much, if I hadn't ever become "friends" with him? I guess there was no way to know, but what I did know was that the James I thought I knew did not exist. All that I saw before me was a completely different man, a personified version of evil.

It was as if a switch had been flipped, as James' mask was carelessly tossed away to reveal his true self. His whole aura had changed; somehow he just radiated danger. Maybe it was the sudden darkness of his eyes, the sly knowing grin of his lips, or the superior confidence that his mother usually wore. It was hard to see at first, since he was facing away from the two of us. But as he turned ever so slowly - as if he wanted to relish in the moment, eyeing the walls of the dark and vacant hall around him - this sudden shift was blindingly clear. His eyes didn't meet mine or Harry's at first as he looked past us, like we were unworthy of his gaze.

His condescending smirk grew and so did my fear and Harry's anger. But no matter how furious Harry could possibly become, I was still grateful to have him here with me.

Finally James looked to Harry and I, and then down to our intertwined fingers. "Aw," he purred mockingly. "Aren't you two cute."

"What the hell do you want James?" I demanded. I didn't want this to get too far; it was better he got it over with, whatever it was.

"I just wanna talk," he shrugged. But the deceitful grin had yet to fade.

"About what?" Harry demanded, probably wanting to get this over with as much as I did.

"You guys," he replied simply. "I mean, honestly, you're hilarious. Star-crossed lovers who are locked up together in a mental institution, holding hands and talking at lunch like you're an actual couple. Really, you guys are adorable."

I looked to Harry, expecting him to say something, but he just glared at the guard.

"But what would Emily think?" James asked rather quietly, his smile only growing. Of all the things he could've said I was not expecting that. But once the words were out my whole body filled with dread; this was not a good road to go down.

"What the fuck did you just say?" Harry asked, his voice rumbling deeper as he removed his hand from mine and stepped forward.

"Harry," I urged, the words coming out as more of a plead than a demand. I prayed that James wouldn't say anything more, but once again my prayers were unanswered.

"You heard me. I wonder what she would think of the two of you." He seemed to be taking this as a joke, his grin wide as if he were trying to keep himself from laughing.