Chapter 17: First Heartbreak

Katerina slowly opened her eyes. She squinted as the sun hit her eyes. She started to sit up when she felt a cold barrier around her waist. She looked down and saw big muscular arms surrounding her. She blushed when she realized she was naked and when the memories began to filter through of the previous month.....

Marcus guided katerina into the ballroom. It was beautiful like a fairytale. It was if she had stepped into The Beauty and the Beast. Marcus led her to the front where there was five thrones three in the front and two in the back. Marcus handed her over to aro. Aro took her hand and began a grand speech. At the end he crowned her their princess. After there was a loud applause. Katerina thanked everyone and swore to be a just leader and princess. She bowed after she said that again there was an applause. She was seated behind Marcus and Aros throne while sculpicia sat in the one behind aro and caius. As she sat watching everyone dance guards would make their way up to the throne to acknowledge her as their princess and to lay gifts at her feet. A half hour later marcus stood up and held his hand out to her will you honor me with a dance princessa he asked she smiled and blushed yes i would love to dance with you she slipped her hand into his and let him lead her to the middle of the floor. The music began and Marcus lead her. As they were dancing Marcus couldn't tear his eyes away from her. You look stunning in the dress my dear princessa. He whispered in her ear. She blushed lightly thank you Marcus she replied a shiver ran down her spine as his cold breath hit her ear. She looked up at him. Marcus can i ask you something. She asked of coarse what is it. He replied well while I was getting ready mother mentioned that you had been previously married to father's sister. But that she had died centuries ago. Is that true. She asked he looked as if he had zoned out for a second but then blinked and looked back at her. Yes i was her name was Didyme. I loved her very much but I don't think she loved me in the same way. She cared for me but she never really loved me. Why do you ask he replied. I was just wondering it was the first I was hearing about her and from what my mother said she was very beautiful and that you were completely in love with her and she was your world. She replied yes i was and she was my world. But she didn't feel the same for me. She married me because aro had promised her to me. When we were mortal. She loved another but he was killed when we over threw the Romanians. He replied the song ended I need some air. Will you join me she asked. I would like that very much he replied. They walked outside to the balcony that over looked the garden. She sat down on the bench. He sat down beside her. If you don't mind me asking how did she die. She asked. Marcus looked out towards the garden where there was a statue of didyme. She killed herself. He replied with sadness in his voice. But I thought vampires can't kill themselves. She asked they can't. She didn't directly kill herself but caused her death by exposing herself to mortals. Aro had no choice but to kill her for breaking the law. If he didn't there would have been an uproar from all covens. He replied. I'm sorry to bring this all up. Do you still love her. She asked. 24 years ago I would have said yes but someone saved me from my sorrowful life that I had been. She has fill my heart with more love than I could ever feel for didyme.he replied as he looked back at katerina oh I see. She replied she was sad that he had already found another. Marcus noticed her demeanor change. He took her hand in his I think we should get back to the festivities. I'm sure caius is dying to dance with you. He said as he led her back inside. Once inside Marcus excused himself to go speak with aro. Not even 5 seconds later katerina felt a tap on her shoulder she turned around and came face to face with caius. He was absolutely dashing in his tux may I have this dance Princessa he asked as he bowed she laughed and accepted his hand. As they danced katerina leaned closer to caius a slow song began and she rested her head against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her. Her mind kept reeling back to the thought that Marcus had found someone else. She was slightly hurt by that thought. She was happy that caius was single for sure and that she already felt a deep connection to him. The song ended she hadn't even noticed that she had started to cry until they pulled away and caius wiped a tear from her cheek. What's wrong my princessa? He asked worried nothing I think I'm just tired I'm not really used to big parties. I think I will retire for the night tell everyone thank you and tell my father I enjoyed tonight. She said as she turned and left the ballroom.
Caius was confused at why she was crying. He walked over to aro and marcus. Where is katerina aro asked she is retiring for the night she wanted me to let you know that she says thank you. Caius replied Aro nodded in understanding.