Chapter 2: Heartbeat

Thump Thump all the heartbeats swirled together calm then speeding up as they realized that something bad was going to happen. Every heartbeat jumped when the heavy wooden doors slammed shut behind them. Then the room was filled with blood curdling screams. they echoed through the throne room then there was dead silence. Bright red blood coated the floor and flowed towards the drain in the middle of the floor. I began to sit back down on my throne when i heard it the soft thump of a small weak heartbeat. I turned around and looked towards the bodies i didn't see anything. the guards were picking up the bodies one by one. I saw a light pink blanket peaking out from under a woman with black midnight hair she was holding a mans hand they were so young. and looked peaceful laying there lifeless holding onto each other. I envied them wishing it could have been me and her laying there. I changed my focus back to the pink blanket. then out of the silence there was a ear piercing cry i bent down and moved the blanket it revealed a small baby girl with a head full of thick black curly hair. i picked her up gently in my arms my undead heart seemed to beat for a split second when it hit me that this little life was the child of the young couple now lying lifeless on the floor at my feet. my gift automatically switched on and i inwardly gasped in shock. running from me and this little life a bright golden cord tied me to her and her to me. i held her close to my chest and cooed to her and softly bounced her in my arms trying to console her. when she had calmed down and fell asleep i hadn't realized i was smiling till aro had cleared his throat and i looked up at him to see him smiling at me. i looked around and saw that everyone had stopped in their steps and was watching me hold my new charge. "Brother I hope you know what your getting yourself into." Caius said as he walked over. he looked over my arm to look at her. " She's my mate." i said softly as i softly caressed her small cheek. i could feel the shocked looks of everyone in the room i handed her to caius and walked back over to her parents i looked through her fathers wallet and found a picture of him and her mother together holding her. i put it in my coat pocket. caius handed her back quickly to me. and sat back down on his throne. in a matter of minutes then throne room was back to it pristine perfection it was before the massacre. i excused myself and took her to my quarters. there i laid her down in the middle of my bed and propped some pillows around her so she wouldn't fall off the bed even though it would be impossible since she couldn't even crawl and my bed was a double king-size bed. i placed two more Sherpa blankets over her and started a fire so she wouldn't be cold. "whats you name little one." i took out the picture of her family and looked on the back her mothers name was Emily and her father name was Daniel on the bottom was her beautiful name Katerina Louise Kingston. I said her name a few times. letting it flow off my lips. it was perfect she was perfect. a knock on the door disrupted my bonding moment. "you may enter Jane." i knew it was her. Jane walked in softly. " um, master i found the diaper bag her mother had with her when they came in she left it in the coat closet. there area a few diapers, some bottles, some formula also clothes. me and Chelsea will go into town tomorrow and get more supplies for the little one." she said as she placed it down on the end of the bed then left once she was gone i laid down next to Katerina and waited till she woke up.