His Butler with an Exorcist for a Mistress (ch 10)

Chapter Ten

    I clutched onto Sebastian’s shirt as I felt the earth lurch away from us. They were fast, but that was only to be assumed because they were demons. All I could do was cling onto him in hope that he wouldn’t drop me or allow me to fall. I didn’t dare to peek out of my eyes, not only because of my pervious fright, but because I was afraid of what I might see or in this case, not see.

    It was easy to tell when he resumed a normal human pace, because suddenly the world around us became filled with noise once more. I could hear the gentle sound of the evening breeze, the chirps of the crickets as twilight descended, and the sound of rustling leaves. It was completely different from the soundless dimension we had entered when they’d picked up a pace faster then sound was able to reach them.

    Allowing my eyes to open, I sighed.

    I recognized the town from my childhood. It was a small stretch of a single main road with a few smaller branches. Old brick buildings lined the street sides with painted signs that dated back to Ciel’s time, maybe even further. Street lamps were just coming on and spilled a warm golden glow onto the small street and side walks, where a few people wandered through town. It was peaceful, and with a pinch to my heart, something that I wasn’t used to in my life. These people were the lucky ones and they didn’t even realize it.

    “Put me down,” I breathed softly.

    Sebastian complied, setting me down on the concrete sidewalk. I straightened my clothing and brushed off the non-existent layer of dirt. Once I was together again, I headed forward with the two demons following behind me. We’d planned to stay the night in the local bed and breakfast, but now doubts were beginning to swirl through my mind. That message had been meant to both warn and scare me, both of which it had succeeded in. It made me begin to wonder if staying so close to the mansion was such a brilliant idea now.

    “No one will be bothering us during our stay here,” Sebastian spoke, soothing my unspoken worries. “There are too many witnesses and, if I am correctly characterizing our culprit, he only wishes to attack the mistress and has no wishes to drag any innocents into this battle. That warning was a silent declaration of war, giving you fair warning, meaning that this person wants things to be played out fairly, like a game.”

    “But they killed that man,” I chocked out.

    Ciel snorted, “That man wasn’t an innocent. I remember seeing his face displayed on the television while you were in your classes. He was wanted for the brutal murder of a family and on his body I could sense the remainders of a demonic presence having nothing to do with his killers.”

    I screwed my face up, “So whoever is after me is seeking justice? But what have I done to deserve getting my life fucked with.”

    “Language, mistress,” Sebastian scolded teasingly.

    I narrowed my eyes forward, “I still don’t understand.”

    “And neither do we, but hopefully we shall discover the reasons very soon,” Sebastian concluded.

    I sighed, running a hand through my hair, “But I’d rather the bastard to just come already so you two can kick his ass and drag it to hell where it belongs. Waiting makes me restless. I can’t stand it!”

    “Impatience only ends up getting you killed,” Ciel deadpanned.

    I scowled, but said nothing as I stared towards our destination.