His Butler with an Exorcist for a Mistress (ch 9)

Chapter Nine

    I felt myself being watched when I started awake for the hundredth time during the course of this ride. Allowing my eyes to fall to half mast, I sighed.

    “Can’t you find something more interesting to stare at?”

    An amused chuckle filled the back of the cab, “The mistress is entertaining to watch while she’s sleeping. You mumble things.”

     “Do not,” I grumbled, pulling the coat I was using as a blanket higher up my body and over most of my face so that only the crown of my head was visible.

    “Your denial is almost as entertaining as the things you unknowing revealed,” he whispered, drawing close enough to me that I could feel his body heat emitting through my makeshift blanket.

    “Would you like to know what you said?” He questioned in a voice laced with suggestiveness and a hidden meaning.

    I drew down the jacket low enough so that I could shot him a dirty glare, unfazed by the close proximity between us. “Pervert.”

    Sebastian just grinned mischievously, a look I returned with an even darker glare. I was not amused by his antics, especially when I was still half asleep and beginning to feel all the aches working their way into my muscles thanks to the countless hours we’d been traveling; first on the ferry and then now in this damned black cab. The back seat certainly had not been built to hold three people comfortably, not matter how small the third was, and the cramped space was starting to take its toll.

    “Are we almost there?” A cold voice cut off our staring contest, forcing us to both look at the bored ex-earl staring grumpily out the window opposite of mine.

    I pushed the makeshift blanket complete off myself and sat upright to get a better baring of our surroundings. Thick evergreens flew by on either side of us, replacing what used to be fields of thick grasses thirty minutes ago. A small smile worked its way onto my face as I spotted the familiar drive coming up on our right.

    “Actually we get off right here,” I announced just as the black cab drove up onto the side of the road and came to a stop.

    Ciel released a sigh and moved from his seat before the driver had time to turn around and demand his fare. I smirked, watching out of the corner of my eyes as Sebastian followed him, while I quickly shoved the driver his dues and jumped out after them. The driver didn’t even hesitate before taking off, he obviously didn’t want to stay around any longer then was necessary and I didn’t blame him. They said this place was cursed.

    I ran a hand through my hair roughly as I draped my coat over my arm. Bridget had told me a few years ago about the stories that now circulated the small town near where I used to live. After my parents’ mysterious deaths and my own disappearance, or so the naive citizens believed, they’d claimed the land where our proud mansion stood cursed and overrun with the spirits of the restless. When she told me this, I had a sneaky suspicion that the rumor was ‘helped’ along by a few members of a not so unfamiliar group. It did serve as a bonus though. No one would be bothering us while we investigated.

    “It should be down this way,” I stated, waving for them to follow me as I picked my over to where the drive used to be. I say used to, because now the once gravel path was overrun with tall grasses that had taken root in it from the lack of travel the road was met with now. Seeing it now only brought up the question of what the rest of it would look like once I got to see it. Would the building be on the verge of collapsing? Would the once large fountain before the mansion be crumbling? Would the sight of them just be shadows of the memories I clung to?