His Butler with an Exorcist for a Mistress (ch 8)

Chapter Eight

    I sighed and leaned over against the rail, not caring for the strange looks I was earning from the passengers around me. I didn’t really care if they thought I was a rebellious teen. That perhaps they believed I had a death wish...Well if that was their guess I suppose they were correct to a certain extent.

    Not that I cared in the least what they thought.

    I hiked my leg up and over the rail, allowing myself to come to sit on the very edge of the bar with my legs dangling dangerously over the drop. Below the wave split before the large boat, cutting a wake of white foam and spray that jumped up in a cold mist, catching me on its way. I closed my eyes against the salty spray, allowing my hair to be whipped around my face in the wind as my hands gripped onto the bar I sat on.

    It was the most peaceful I’d been in a while.

    “Sitting like that is inviting yourself to fall overboard, mistress.”

    I rolled my eyes and turned to give Sebastian a quick glare before looking back out at the expanse of water again. “I’m not going to fall,” I snapped. “Besides I wouldn’t be in much danger even if I did.”

    “Can you swim?”

    I nodded as I turned to look back at him, wondering just where he was planning to take this. It took only a moment for a cruel smirk to appear on his face and my stomach churned at the sight. Not good...

    “Good, then I won’t have to jump in to rescue you.”

    I gave a snort, “That is unless I order you to.”

    Sebastian merely frowned, but didn’t respond with another sarcastic comment like I half expected him to do. I guess there really wasn’t much someone could say to that. Especially someone who was bound to do as ordered, which meant there wasn’t much he could say in order to make my last retort weaker.

    I lifted a hand to secure my hair back from my face so I could see the water clearly again.  I wonder what Bridget is doing right now. Knowing her, she’s probably on a rampage in an attempt to find me. I could almost see her tearing apart shops and hotels in search for me. She was probably turning the city inside out by now, if she already hadn’t.

    I was lucky I had Sebastian and Ciel, even I had to admit that otherwise I would have gone straight to London and been apprehended right away by Bridget; forced to be babysat by another exorcists until I returned home. As hard as it could be for me to admit I was wrong, I also knew that they were able to think things through more throughly then I would have. I could only makes guesses as to why. Perhaps it had something to do with all the time they existed or it could just be their personalities. Either way I don’t think I would ever know the true reasons behind the ways they thought. I wasn’t a mind reader after all.

    “Where’s Ciel?” I asked nonchalantly, sparing Sebastian a glance from the corner of my eye.

    “The young master preferred to be inside rather than out here in the drizzle,” Sebastian pointed out.

    I lifted a hand off the rail palm up, looking at it silently as little droplets of water feel on my pale skin. They collected on my fingers, a few trailing down the curves of my hand before falling away. I watched them silently, I hadn’t realized that it was raining...

    “Seb-.”

    I made a move to turn to look at him when I felt my seat on the railing begin to slip away. The rest of the syllables died on my tongue as they morphed into a building scream while I tilted dangerously off the edge. I reached out with desperate fingers in an attempt to find purchase on anything, relieved to find my fingers were able to wrap around the bar to secure myself.