Chapter 20 ~ Part 1

You ready for this?

This actually a pretty good chapter, I think.

Rate: 1-10 please!

Comment!

Vote!

Fan!

Add!

Like!

Tweet!

Go Watty Awards 2011!

***********************************************************************************************************

Finding Awenasa

Chapter 20

Part 1

*Maria's POV*

My face was pressed across the cold glass as I tried to watch the little flakes of snow drift to the ground.

My breath kept steaming up the window panes, making it harder to see through them.

"Maybe if you back up a little, so you don't fog up the window panes, it would be easier to see!" Peter suggested, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

I punched him playfully on the arm and rolled my eyes.

"I know that! But I like feeling the cold while watching the snow fall." I explained, as if it had been completely obvious to anyone with half of a brain.

"The why don't we just go outside?" Peter questioned my absurd reasoning.

I placed my fists on my lips and childishly stuck my tongue out at him through my smile.

"Then I would be TOO cold!" I pointed out.

"Not if you wear a coat, a pair of mittens, a hat, a scarf... Shall I continue?" Peter teased me.

I let out a big, over dramatic sigh of defeat.

"Fine then! We'll go outside to watch the snow.  But you had better watch that back of your's, mister.  You never know when a stray snowball will hit you from behind." I challenged him.

His eyes glinted mischievously.

We got all bundled up and walked out into the front yard.  

The snow was just about up to my ankles.

I bent down and scooped some up into my mittened hands, packing it hard between my fingers.

I was just about to throw it at  Peter, when a snowball hit me square in the face.

I blinked the snow out of my eyes and wiped the rest off my face with the sleeve of my woolen coat.

"What's the problem, Maria?" Can't handle a little snow?" came a teasing voice that I hadn't heard in a couple of weeks.

"Joe!" I screamed, running up the drive to let him in the gate and give him a hug.

"Hello Joe." said Peter, shaking hands with him.

I smiled at Peter's over mature greeting.

"nice to see you again, Peter.  I trust you've been keeping my little sister out of trouble?" Joe asked.

Peter's face went red and he hurriedly sputtered a strangled yes.

I was sure he was recalling all of the times he'd roguishly kissed me on the cheek in the barn out back.

"You're here earlier than you said you'd be." I commented to Joe. "Why is that?"

"Well, Cocheta and I made it to her mother's tribe, and I just didn't feel welcome.  Plus I needed to get back here to you.  I don't really feel like talking about it, okay?" he said somberly.