Chapter Ten

Alison walked down the stairs to the living room, as Vivian Popped her head out from the hallway, along the staircase, she grabbed her keys, off the rack.
"Alison" Her Stepmother called, irritation in her voice, from all the complaints Audrey was giving her. Vivian made a straight path to the door as she spoke again.

"After school, I need you to go and get me lunch.. I don't feel like doing it today." Audrey promptly caught up to her mother as she continued to nag.

Stopping Vivian held her hand up. "But you have to go somewhere expensive, I only eat the best of quality.." Handing Alison the money, Vivian flipped her hair behind her. But she had to help with the play after school. "Why can't Audrey do it?" Alison protested.

Audrey scoffed, looking down at Alison, appalled by the suggestion. "Me? Run errands? I don't do those kinds of things.." laughing it off like it was the most ridiculous thing she had ever heard, Audrey refused to even consider the idea.

"But I have commitments" Alison pleaded. First practice, and she wasn't going to be able to make it?

"Your commitment is to me now, or have you forgotten?" Vivian Smirked, with pleasure peering  on every inch of her face.

Her stepmother was right. Alison sighed. The only reason she was going to Content High, was because she agreed to do what ever her Vivian wanted her to.

"I think I've made my point across." Vivian snickered as she walked out the door, with her daughter following be hide.

Alison leaned on the rail as she looked out over the school grounds. Trying to to clear her head from her stepmother, to her stepsister, and their selfishness. how could they be so, spoiled rotten? Alison couldn't help but think about such thoughts. The gentle breeze in the air, and the way it lightly touched her skin, helped relax, as she closed her eyes. Alison shook her head wishing the imprint of their image would disappear from her mind.

Opening her eyes to the feeling of something touching her leg, Alison looked down at the ground, a remote control car, lightly hit her leg back and forth.

"Hop in!" A playful voice jested from behind her. Turning, Conner sat on the edge of the balcony, his feet hanging off, putting his arms through the rails he let them hang, with the remote control in his hands, he smiled.

"What are you doing up there?" Alison questioned.

"I'm just having a little fun"

"You mean with this?" Alison pointed towards the toy car with her foot, amused by his childlike behavior.

"Yes" Conner smiled even wider. "And plus the view is beautiful up here" he looked out over the school, and the big city around them. Alison could see a glint in his eye as he took in the view. He seemed to love everything around him, but Alison couldn't understand how he was always so enthusiastic and cheerful.

Conner looked down at her, with a smile and energetic expression. "Is this the first time you've been up on the roof? "Nodding, Alison looked back at him. "Then, you have got to see the view from up here" Conner made his way down the stairs, taking every other step. Finally reaching her, Conner Offered his hand out to her again, like he had done before. Smiling he tilted his head. Did he not realize what he was doing, or how it made her feel? Did he not feel anything, when he held her hand? Did the action mean nothing to him? Alison stared at his extended hand, in front of her. Its not like I like him or anything... So why am I nervous? 

Bashfully, Alison laughed, insecurity in her question, she asked. "Do all the guys from where you use to live, hold the girls hand while going up stairs?" Alison asked, recalling before when he had helped her. She was unsure if she was being disrespectful by asking such a question.