Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Eleven

Bellatrix raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow as an ivy green letter appeared at the bottom of the room’s huge fireplace, sending a puff of soot up into the air. She looked to her sister, Narcissa, who was sat next to her at a long wooden table, but she just shrugged in response.

Voldemort’s blood shot eyes snapped open. He flexed his neck slowly and gave a reassuring pat to Nagini who was wrapped around his chair. “Wormtail,” he hissed to the rat Animagus who was hovering by the fireplace, eager to look at the envelope, “please.”

Wormtail quickly picked up the envelope, and handed it shakily to him. “My Lord,” he said in respect, lowering his head.

In one swift swipe Voldemort opened the letter and the envelope fell to the floor. He read it, and then set it alight with a ball of flame. It burned slowly, the paper curling up at the edges before disappearing into dust, a faint smoke smell lingered in the air.

“When does Rebecca return?”

“In seven weeks time,” Bellatrix spoke up, she was, after all, Rebecca’s mentor – if that was the right name for it. “She’ll be coming back here to Malfoy Manor with Draco.”

Narcissa, who for the whole meeting had been as quiet as a mute, sighed longingly at the thought of her son returning. She missed him so much, and what with Lucius being in prison she was sure that she was going quite mad with longing for her family. She’d even invited her sister to stay, something which didn’t happen very often as they would tend to fight, to stop the solitude from closing in on her.

Voldemort narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. He looked at the table of Death Eaters around him in anguish. Compared to him, they were all so weak, so pathetic. Even Bellatrix had been more subdued lately, less eager and keen to please him.

That was one of the reasons why he had recruited Rebecca and Draco, two sixteen-year-olds in the most energetic stage of their lives. Draco had, of course, been chosen to get back at his father for failing to do what he’d been told, but with Rebecca he’d hoped some fresh blood would liven things up a bit. But because she was stationed at Hogwarts he hadn’t seen her since the day he had made her a Death Eater, making her progress hard to track.

He got up, scraping his chair back with a spine-chilling noise, and drifted over to Bellatrix, putting his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him like a dog would look to it’s master. At least she was loyal. “Tell me, Bellatrix, Rebecca Rosewood. What do you know about her? I assume that you have at least an inkling of information about her seeing as you’ve been the one to care for her.”

“Well, she murdered Leon Jarragon, very successfully if I must add,” a twisted smile played on Bellatrix’s lips. “His body looked very pretty afterwards, a work of art in fact.”

Bellatrix’s husband, Rodolphus gave a concurring laugh.

“And there’s the prophecy that she is to fulfil,” she continued. “The one that Lucius found.”

Voldemort appeared to tense at the name. “Yes, I suppose he was good for something.”

A dry sob escaped from Narcissa’s lips. She abruptly stood up and ran out of the room, covering her face with her hands, her blonde hair streaming out behind her as she picked up speed.

Voldemort shook his head angrily. “Yes, the prophecy,” he said darkly, sitting back down after completing a circuit around the table. Nagini slithered up onto his lap, her heavy weight not bothering him in the slightest bit.

The missing piece shall be revealed with youthful blood and the power to wield. The girl shall not fear the darkness but instead make it stronger. She is of no relation to him herself, but can harbour the influence that is needed to destroy the one he despises of so much.”