Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Two

The train station 9 ¾ was packed with wizards and witches. Rebecca kept her head down as she weaved her way in and out of the bustling bodies, narrowly avoiding a hex that was aimed at some student in front of her.

She got to the edge of the platform by the gleaming red train and handed Ludwig - her mischievous barn owl - and the rest of her luggage to who she assumed was a porter. Thick smoke filled the air and the smell of coal drifted down from the steam train.

“Time to board,” a smartly dressed mad yelled from the front of the steam engine.

Rebecca stepped nimbly up into the nearest carriage, quickly dodging out the way of a group of young girls as they barged past. She felt around in her pocket for a bit of paper and snuck a look at it before shoving it back out of sight. Carriage 13. She looked up at the golden embossed number on the wall and sighed. 03.

As she walked down the train aisles she couldn’t help but notice people staring at her. She looked to the floor slightly so that her golden brown curls hid the majority of her face. A blonde girl  - who she recognised as Luna from the photos of students she'd studied - tapped her on the shoulder.

“Excuse me,” she said in a high, dream-like voice. “I don’t suppose you want a Quibbler?”

Rebecca looked at the magazine in question, “Erm, yeah, sure."

Luna handed her the magazine and carried on down the carriage shouting Quibbler. Rebecca tucked the odd magazine into a brown satchel that was slung over her shoulder and continued one her way.

She was getting to carriage 7 when suddenly she was thrown forwards due to the train beginning it journey down the track. Out of pure reaction she grabbed onto something to steady herself, but looking up she realised that the something, was in fact someone.

Harry Potter.

“Hi," Harry greeted her, his green eyes looking friendly.

Rebecca let go of him and straightened herself up, smoothing down her skirt. “Sorry about that,” she apologised, a bit tongue tied from the unexpected meeting between them. So this was the boy she was going to have to ruin. She hadn't expected him to be so... kind.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it," he gave her a wolfish smile, which was quickly followed by an awkward blush. "I'm Harry, Harry Potter."

“I know who you are,” Rebecca grinned.

Harry looked curiously at her.

“I mean...” she backtracked. Why had she said that - she'd only just got on the bleeding train!  “...you were on the covers of all the papers last year.”

Harry’s mood suddenly changed and his eyes darkened, the smile dropping from his face.

“HARRY!”

The two of them turned to see a red-headed boy walking towards them. Rebecca placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder and lent into him. “I think you’re really brave,” she whispered in his ear.

He looked at her, an unreadable gleam in his eyes. She made her way past him and the red head, who she knew was Ron Weasley.

“Who the heck’s that?” Ron asked Harry.

“That’s...” he started. “Wait!” He called down the carriage. “I never got your name!”

Rebecca turned, a mischievous grin playing on her lips. “Rebecca. Rebecca Rosewood.”

She entered the next carriage, looking through the glass at Harry and Ron who were still watching her as she shut the door behind her.

~

Finally Rebecca got to Carriage 13. The interior and layout was different to the previous ten carriages she'd been in. The seats were a light green, and there was a strange sophisticated air to the students seated in them, as though they thought themselves superior to everyone in the other carriages.

As she got to the first compartment she glanced pryingly through the window, instantly recognising it as the right one. Pushing down the handle, she slid the door open and stepped inside.

The boy who sat looking out at the window gravely, turned to her, his piercing grey eyes meeting hers. He shook his head slightly as if to disperse his previous thoughts. “Miss Rosewood I presume?” he said, a slight smirk appearing on his face.

“Mr Malfoy,” Rebecca replied, mirroring him.

She sat down on the seat opposite him, placing the Quibbler on her lap. Her heart beat hammered like a hummingbird's in her chest as though it would break through. She fiddled with the edge of the magazine, distracting her brain which was currently shouting obscene things at her about Draco's - rather handsome - appearance.

“So, I guess you know what you’ve got to do?” He asked solemnly.

“Of course,” Rebecca replied. 

Draco nodded. “Professor Snape will meet you at the station.”

Rebecca tucked a curl behind her ear and turned her voice into a whisper. “And when should I start on Potter? I mean, I know all his friends names, I know their strengths and weaknesses, and I already have a plan in my head.”

Draco smoothed back his platinum blonde hair. “Tomorrow. It’ll take some time for you to turn Potter’s friend against him, they have a tight bond.”

Suddenly a small Hufflepuff boy appeared at the door and began opening it, seemingly oblivious that Draco and Rebecca were sitting there.

“Next time you talk to me, Rosewood, remember who I am! I don’t care that you're new, you’ll never get into Slytherin, you mudblood!”

The Hufflepuff’s eyes widened, and he blurted out a sorry before swiftly closing the door.

Rebecca, who had sat perfectly still during Draco's outburst, raised an eyebrow. “Mudblood? I’ll have you know that my little finger has more pureblood in it than your whole family put together.”

“Sorry about that,” Draco purred. “I have a reputation to withhold. And for now, we can’t be seen together too much.” He got up and winked playfully at her. “See you around.”

Rebecca watched him go and exhaled deeply. Draco was the kind of guy that her mother had warned her about. Good looking with a big ego, strange mysterious tendencies and nothing but trouble.

She stood up, holding on to her magazine, and wandered over to door. She was about to slide it open when she saw Harry down the corridor looking shifty.

Slowly and silently Rebecca followed him to the adjoining carriage, the one Draco had also exited into, hiding herself out of view behind a sweet trolley that had been abandoned to one side. She watched, her breathing shallow, as Harry slipped what appeared to be an invisibility cloak over his shoulders and got a black rock out from his pocket.

The carriage suddenly went dark and panicked students began to scream and shout through the strange black dust. As the air began to clear Rebecca could just make out Harry’s shoelace poking out from under the cloak as he positioned himself on a luggage rack. Draco’s luggage rack to be exact.

Thinking on her feet, she spotted a quill on the sweet trolley in front of her and grabbed it, scribbling a quick note in the Quibbler. Potter. Look up.

Proud of herself, Rebecca got up and walked down the aisle, towards where she'd seen Draco. But as she got closer to him she realised that he was now lying on his seat, his head in the lap of a rather round faced looking girl.

Rebecca slid the magazine onto Draco's table as she passed by, being careful not to attract too much attention to herself, just in case Harry saw her. Looking back over her shoulder to check that Draco had understood, she caught the girl he was with glaring angrily at her. She stopped walking and smiled sweetly back at her.

Two can play at that game, honey.