Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Four

“Come here,” the snake-like voice whispered. “I need you, Rebecca, you’re a talented witch. Just imagine it, you, a Death Eater. The fame, the glory.”

Rebecca shut her eyes. The consequences of what she was about to do whirled sickeningly around her head.

“You know how you long for blood to be spilt, for the feeling of God that overcomes you when someone’s life is in your hands.”

The voice suddenly got louder at the last word. Rebecca opened her eyes nervously to see him standing in front of her.

“Join us Rebecca, you know you want to. It’s deep inside of you, I can tell. You’re like me Rebecca, I know how you feel. You and death are well acquainted.”

“No! I never meant to kill him, I was scared. I didn’t know wha-"

“The prophecy has spoken. You have no choice in the matter now. It’s your fate. Join us.”

Rebecca woke up in a cold sweat, her chest heaving. She got up and tiptoed to the bathroom, being careful not to wake the other girls in her dorm. It had been a while since she’d last had the nightmare, but it affects on her where always just as terrifying.

The cool tiles in the cubicle greeted her feet soothingly as she focused her attention on the shower, attempting to forget about it. She’d become rather good at banishing feelings from her mind in the past year.

The cool water splashed down on her face, and the sweet smell of coconut scented shower gel wafted in the steam. Her thoughts drifted to the day ahead and the endless greetings from seemingly friendly Gryffindors. At least she had a free period first thing, she could get to work on her plan. Maybe Draco could help.

Draco. That ocean grey stare and bad habit smirk.

Rebecca closed her eyes in despair, forcing herself not to think about him. She was here to do a job, not fantasise about boys she’d only spoken to for five minutes. She was getting distracted – something Rodolphus Lestrange had told her would be foolish.

Soon the shower’s water began to grow cold so Rebecca turned off the tap and stepped out, getting dressed into her new uniform robes. She looked down at the red and gold tie that was slung loosely around her neck and wondered what would have happened if she’d been put into Slytherin.

~

“Hello,” said a voice, stirring Rebecca from her daydreaming state.

 She looked up to see a girl who was taller than herself, with untamed frizzy hair and a book hugged tightly to her chest.

“Hermione Granger,” she said as a way of introduction.

Rebecca was ever so slightly taken a back. The pictures she’d studied of Hermione had been of a slightly gawky looking girl with bushy hair and rather large teeth. But the Hermione who stood in front of her flowed confidence, her face natural looking and demeanour more sophisticated than she’d expected. “I’m Rebecca Rosewood, nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Hermione chirped. “I thought, as it’s your first day, you’d need someone to sit with at breakfast. Plus I have admirable experience at showing the newest students in our year around, and, well...” She stood up and handed a piece of paper to Rebecca. “This is your timetable, I can go over it with you, if you’d like.”

Rebecca was somewhat shocked at Hermione’s willingness to help her fit in. She couldn’t help feel a tiny bit guilty at the inevitable fact that Hermione, whether it’d be sooner or later, would become messily caught up in her scheming and planning. But what did the girl expect when she was friends with Harry Potter?