Chapter Twenty-One: A Plan Of Attack

(Lyra)

"Lexio's ability to just vanish into thin air right when I really need him is second to nobody's!" I raged to Felix, who was sitting on my bed patiently with a small smile on his face. I threw the letter I'd gotten from our only spy in Uxor-Russia on a table angrily; what hadn't  Lexio told me he was leaving today? This couldn't have come at a worse time... I sighed, trying to hold back my frustration. Stella, as we knew her by, was our only spy. She wasn't a true Insurgo, meaning she had no Animus, Bond, or tattoo, but she was easily the most valuable member we had of our little team. The message I'd received from her was a rough slap in the face...

"He'll be home soon, Lyra. I'm sure he has a good reason," Felix replied, trying to calm me. He glanced over at the letter, contemplating picking it up. I hadn't told him why exactly I was throwing a temper tantrum like a child, but he wasn't complaining about it. I assumed he was allowing me to let it all out before attempting to have any sort of conversation. It amazed me how patient he was...

"But we have a real emergency on our hands this time," I moaned. I needed someone besides Felix. He was too mellow to even see the dreadful situation we were in; that's why I hadn't bothered explaining it to him... I wanted Dolosus, or even Lexio... I loved Felix, but this wasn't his forte. He bit his lip as he thought about where on earth Lexio could be.

"Um, wasn't he going hunting?"

"He never takes this long..." I paused. Maybe he could give some advice, since he seemed to be trying to help... "Did I even tell you what this letter says?" He shook his head.

"No, but it’s none of my business. I don't mind not knowing."

"You need to, because I'm going to need a lot of help to fix this..." I muttered. "Our only spy for Uxor-Russia has been caught and she's probably going to be executed. I'm planning on going in there and rescuing her before that happens. I need Lexio..."

"Am I not enough help?" he laughed lightly, but I saw the slight hurt in his eyes. "Should we go and look for him?" I chuckled in return, trying to cheer him up.

"Do you realize what Lexio would do if I left for something like this without him?" He shrugged his shoulders and grinned.

"I have a fourteen foot snake."  I gave him a playful look.

"If you come, I think Noir might have to wait outside... She's too big. It might draw attention to us..." He looked confused.

"But when she's here, I can't be apart from her. It feels strange..."

"It's worse for Dolosus and I, trust me," I muttered. "I don't know why. It's odd." He frowned.

"Well, can we just see how the plan goes? I really would feel better with her with me." He paused and stood up."So, are we going to go and look for him or...?" Before I answered him, I caught something moving out of the corner of my eye. I looked out the window to where Aranea was scurrying around on the limb outside my window with a larger brown tarantula. Imara was nearby on the ground, where seven or eight different animals were emerging in pairs... It looked like the animals were starting to return. Suddenly, Felix gave me an excited grin.

"Noir is back! I can hear her again."

"They'll all be arriving soon with their mates," I replied. "I guess while we're waiting for Lexio, we should get ready... Noir will probably lay her eggs somewhere in your house."

"Here's hoping, eh?" he asked happily. "I wouldn't want her babies to be vulnerable out there." I actually laughed at him.

"Noir is the most dangerous animal in the entire camp... Even Imara should be scared of her. I don't think her babies are likely to be attacked."