Chapter Twelve: Run Nephele, Run

(*A/N* Please take note of the wonderful artist this chapter is dedicated to - seriously, that awesome picture of Imara on the side? Yeah - they drew it. LOOK AT HOW AWESOME IT IS?!*) 

(Nephele)

They say fool me once, shame one you; fool me twice, shame on me. Well, I was feeling the shame alright as, for the second time in my short span as a wall guardian, I had been caught and captured.

Lyra was smug to say the least as she watched me be led back into camp like a circus animal and be humiliated yet again. The 'O Mighty Wall Guardian' was back where she wanted. That night I wasn't kept in a cage; instead Lyra had them rope me up to a pole outside her home. Also, to make matters worse, she left her door open just enough so that the bird creature had me in his line of sight and I knew if I tried anything, he'd wake her.

So, yet again, I did not sleep well at all. Granted, it was not as cold here has it was in Uxor-Russia, which I made a mental note of; should I ever escape, that information would be vital. However, despite it being warmer, the uncomfortable position I was left in and the fear of letting my guard down with men around was more than enough to keep my eyes from shutting. It was not only that which made me uncomfortable. It was also that all those hours I spent awake was yet another hour I mulled Lyra's utter disgust when I dared touch her bird... It really made me wonder... Is there something more there than just owner and pet? I shook my head and muttered to myself,

"What's wrong with you, Nephele?"

I watched the sun rise, I watched everyone come out of their homes, I watched Lyra leave early in the morning with her bird, and I even saw Twelve. I called him over. He came, but his stride toward me was a little more ... Free.

"Yes Mi-" he began, but he interrupted himself. "Yes, Nephele?" I ground my teeth together.

"I am 'Miss' to you, Twelve. What gives you the right to call me by my first name?" I could see my anger still shook him so I pressed, "Answer me, Twelve. I did not think you would be pulled from me so easily. I did not think you would be so disloyal." He started to blink fast and I could literally see his thought process unfold; again, he was torn because I was making it hard for him. Finally though, he sunk to his knees in front of me so he was eye level.

"Sorry Miss... I never meant to-"

"Don't apologise, just get me out of these ropes." The confused expression returned.

"But I can’t; Lyra said-"

"You take her will over mine?" I said incredulously and again he shook his head and started to do my biding. As Twelve almost allowed the ropes to fall away, I grimaced, hearing the voice of the last person on earth I wanted to at the moment.

"You know, even if he unties you, you'd never escape from the camp in broad daylight anyway, Uxor," the brown-haired she-devil laughed, coming up behind Twelve, who stood and moved behind her. I glared.

"Go away, traitor." She looked at me deeply for a moment.

"You just don't know when you're beaten, do you? Even Felix is having hesitations about obeying you. Just give it up." She seemed exasperated.

"I see no Felix here. All I see is a man that belongs to me and a piece of trash trying to take him away from me."

"Poor thing..." she tsked condescendingly, looking at me straight in the face, "but you're in luck because we're going to help you starting tomorrow." I didn't like the way her eyes glinted cruelly when she said that.

"I have already told you, Insurgo," I said, trying to wriggle free of the ropes, "I would rather die than become like you."

"Aaaaaaand that's why we're going to help you," she grinned. "You're an extreme case." The owl made a laughing sound. I finally got it, she wasn't trying to kill me... Oh no, she was far too cruel for that. She wanted to make me like her so she could have eternity to rub it in my face.