Chapter Seventeen: A Kiss With A Fist

(Nephele)

Over a month had passed since I had first touched or looked into the eyes of a man, and true to her word, every day Lyra had both Lexio and Twelve arrive, expecting me to be as respectful as I once was to my sisters back in Uxor. At first I detested having to do this; it felt unnatural and wrong, but, after two and half weeks, I started to accept it. 

A man’s eyes were not much different to that of a female and a man’s friendly touch was now almost as natural as a woman's, I was proud of myself, for it was fair to say I had come along way. Although I still missed home and my mother dearly, I didn't pine for it any longer, I liked this freedom. 

'Are you done self praising?' Yawned Imara from the doorway that lead into my room. 

"Nyet, I wasn't self praising I was just... Thinking." 

 'Sure," he thought, rolling his eyes. 'Do we have a purpose this morning? Or is Madame just going to stay inside and 'think' as you put it?'

"Well," I said, throwing back my bed covers and getting up, "I don’t know about you, but I’m going for a wash while it’s still early."

'Actually, that sounds like a good idea.'

I shook my head to myself; the fact that Imara liked water was yet another mystery to me. The first time I was ever brave enough to get in the water was about three weeks ago. It was after midnight, the camp was quiet, and I needed to wash the dirt of my old wounds. I remembered creeping down there, removing my clothes and submerging myself in water in record time, just to make sure no men were anywhere around. I hadn’t been in there long when Imara joined me, and he could tell by my confused expression that I wondered why on earth he was splashing about in water; he informed me that tigers love water and so he picked up that trait from his mother.

I wandered round my small room. It only possessed a single bed, a chest at the foot of it, one wardrobe, and a rug for Imara to sleep on since I reinforced the stairs to allow him up. All but the rug, which was made from animal fur, had been carved from the most beautiful wood I could find. It wasn’t much, but it was something to call my own.

"Can you check if there’s anyone up?" I asked him. He sighed.

'I thought you were over the whole 'I hate men' thing?'

"It’s not a case of hating them." I snapped. "I just don’t want any of them near me while I’m undressed, that’s just... Embarrassing and disgusting...

Despite the complaining, he eventually ran down to the lake to check if anyone was there. he wasn’t gone long, but the three or so minuets I did I have to myself I used to gather a towel and all my Insurgo clothes and pile them neatly, and in order so when I got out I could dress quickly and efficiently.

'Alright, I did a quick sweep. No ones there.'

I smiled at the slightly out of breath liger and clambered onto his back, clothes and towel in hand. He bounded easily down the steps and through the leaves without waking a single person and soon we arrived at the lake.

It was a very pretty expanse of water, clear and cool and full of green lily pads. The trees surrounding it were thick enough to stop passersby noticing it, yet the Insurgo appeared to know their way here with their eyes closed. Slowly, very slowly, I was learning their gift to read the forest, granted Imara was a huge help but still, I didn’t care how I was learning it, just as long as I was.

Doing a final survey of the surrounding area I was finally satisfied that I was alone and undressed quickly before diving headfirst into the crisp water. It felt so nice having the clear liquid lap against my skin, cleaning and healing my body. I’ll admit this way of washing was something I reveled in; maybe Imara’s love of water had started to rub off on me. Imara joined me and I couldn’t resist making his mane soaking wet, the way it fuzzed up after was priceless. I was enjoying myself so much it was fair to say I didn’t hear someone approaching me until it was too late.