Chapter Ten: Flashback

(Lyra)

My sleep was disturbed roughly by a loud crash coming from the ground. Dolosus opened one of his eyes, annoyed and sleepy.

‘She’ll really do anything for attention, won’t she?’ he growled, referring to the Uxor that we both knew was just making noise to keep the camp up. I sighed; she was so ignorant and rude... It made me shudder to think that I was once the same way... It was a dark time in my past that I didn’t like to recount; my life as a former Uxor had become nothing to me. Pushing those bad memories out of my head, I close my eyes and feel back asleep quickly.

I knew I was having that recurring, detailed, flashback dream again... Sometimes I wish it would stop, but it never really seemed to. I could still remember it as if it had happened yesterday... 

                                                              ~*~*~*~*~*~

It was late when I finally got done taking care of my lesson plans for the next day and left the Uxor-Europe school where I worked as a teacher. I wasn't particularly looking forward to going home; I never really did, so I tried to drown myself in my work whenever it was possible. I still lived with my mum, but she was a birther, and so we lived in a very rundown part of the city. She had no real talent that the Uxor-Europe Authority could see.The only true Queen lived in Uxor-Russia, but, for the rest of the cities, each was governed by a princess called an Authority. When the Queen finally died, one of the Authorities would take her place. Their duties included upholding the laws and choosing the careers of all the women living in their city.

Since the Uxor-Europe Authority saw very little potential in my mum, that was what she became: a birther; a woman that was allowed to keep a single daughter, but must be continually impregnated and not allowed to keep anymore children, be it male or female. Although vital to the future of humanity, it was a profession that was strongly looked down upon. 

I, on the other hand, was a teacher, having been recognized as having a desirable amount of natural intelligence. I was not just any teacher, however; I was responsible for the training of Uxor-Europe's top guard, the very warriors that served our Authority. Needless to say, my name was a common word in the House of Royals. 

However, despite my status, unlike every other woman I knew, I did not feel a naturally bred hatred for men. Granted, I didn't really like them or have any sort of compassionate feelings for them, but I didn't hate them either. My own man very rarely was with me; I mostly left him at home. I didn't like the idea of servants that constantly followed me around; it was just uncomfortable. 

One night when I turned onto the street leading to my house, I stopped dead from shock. I saw a man standing in the middle of the abandoned street. I was instantly suspicious; he was walking around free without any woman nearby and bore no chains. He most likely heard my footsteps, for he turned to glare at me angrily. Before I could even react, a huge dark blue spider had scampered off his shoulder and cast a white web at my feet, binding them together and causing me to hit the ground with a loud thud. The next thing I saw was the dark green eyes of the man's looking directly into mine. 

"Uxor," he hissed, pressing a blade to my throat, "woman! You're in the wrong place at the wrong time." The tarantula snarled in agreement. I tried to remain calm as I looked him full in the face. 

"Please," I begged, "I'm just a teacher. I have no weapons and no intentions of hurting you." He laughed viciously. 

"Like you could even if you wanted to..." 

"I don't want any trouble," I defended pathetically. "If you just leave me alone, I'll pretend like I didn't see you." He grabbed a fistful of my hair and dragged his face even closer to mine.