CHAPTER THIRTEEN

RECAP:

Nicole was attacked and the person was all like, "NICOLE?!?!" SO... yeah, enjoy! :D

                                                                                          ~*~

“Bennett?” I exclaim with the same amount of surprise. He straightens up and continues to glare at me.

“How dare you try to escape from me!” He scolds me, shaking a finger at me. “You could have gotten killed.”

“Like you care,” I scoff.

“Excuse me? Like I care? If you were to get captured you would give me away, no question about it,” he points out, and I roll my eyes. “Why did you even come back here?”

“It’s not like I meant to,” I scowl at the thought, glancing down at my stomach and blushing in both anger and embarrassment as I realize he’s positioned to seat himself on top of me. “Get off!” I shout, shoving his chest and quickly regretting the motion as pain shoots up to my shoulder. “God, why’d you have to knock me off the horse?”

“Who owns this horse?” He asks; examining the proper grooming techniques used on Link’s horse as he removes himself from on top of me gladly.

“Why do you ask?” I question him.

“If you were to switch horses, that means you lost your old horse by some kind of event, which I am guessing includes running from someone,” he eyes me suspiciously. “Why were you off the trail anyway?”

“Well, I-” I break off when he yanks on my wrist and examines it carefully.

“You were captured, not too long ago from the look of the rope marks,” he drops my hand forcefully and continues to glare at me. Sure enough, the rope imprints wrap themselves around my wrists, causing the skin to burn with irritation from the scratchy material. “Who tied you up? Where is Sophia? Emilia?” He badgers me with questions.

“The rope marks are probably from when you tied me up,” I scoff, “and Sophia went off back to her home to retrieve supplies while Emilia and I hung back at your house,” I lie easily. The truth is, I’ve been planning that lie from when I encounter Bennett again. No doubt he would ask me it, and I guess that idea didn’t fail.

“Then why did you leave Emilia back at the house?” He crosses his arms and narrows his eyes.

“She wanted to stay while I went out to get food from the market,” I continue with my little story.

“If you are not lying, then you do realize if Emilia enters the house after she has been freed, she would become my maid girl once again. By the looks of it, she had no intention of being a maid again,” he smirks, and I gulp as I realize he’s caught me. “And by now, Sophia’s house is probably swarming with guards as they attempt to figure out the trail you and I took to escape them.” He takes a step closer, and I take one back. “Now tell me; where are they?”

“Emilia was murdered and Sophia… I don’t know,” I give in, knowing that my story was never bulletproof from the beginning.

Who did that to them?” His voice is strict and yet remains calm. When I don’t respond, he whirls away in frustration. “I swear to God you never tell me anything just to-”

I never tell you anything? What about you, Mr. Fiancé?” It slips from my mouth before I can stop it. He turns toward me in both shock and sudden fury.

“Who told you?” He asks in a small voice.

“It’s none of your business,” I glower at him.