CHAPTER NINE

“Are we there yet?” I moan for the twelfth time. I’m really starting to think he doesn’t know where the heck he’s going.

“Yes.”

“Where are we even going?” I frown.

“We must stop by a village to stay for the night,” he explains.

“Do you even have a map?”

“I do not need a map,” he says defensively. So this whole time he’s just been winging it? He doesn’t know where we’re going, does he?! Finally, I remove the folded up map from my pocket and take a look at the swaying trees on either side of the path as a village, at least a mile’s walk from here, stands. I guess he was right, except I don’t think my feet can take much more of this walking. Wearing just flats was not a good idea, now that I think of it. The soles of my feet ache and each step hurts twice as much as the last.

“Bennett?”

“What?” His voice is harsh, making me flinch slightly beneath my cloak.

“Can I... well… my feet hurt. Can I ride on the horse?” I ask.

“What is the point of you riding the horse and me walking?”

“Because I refuse to sit next to you,” I throw him a repulsed look, as though the thought of us sitting that close together would make me want to vomit. He mocks my look before stopping the horse.

“I guess you have a point there,” he rolls his eyes, allowing his vision to take a detour to my feet. “What made you think about wearing flats?”

“How should I know? I’ve been wearing the same outfit since I-don’t-know-when, and I don’t even know where I got it from,” I confess, mounting the horse.

“I will have a maid bring you a new set of clothing when we reach the manor,” he reassures me, and I scowl at him fiercely.

“I’ll get it myself,” I say stubbornly.

“Why? Having someone bring it to you is much easier,” he points out.

“What if that were you as a butler or slave?” I snap.

“Are you still obsessing over that time you were at the Castle of the Gifted?” He glances at me.

“I don’t remember a thing about that, but Trey told me my Master wasn’t the nicest.”

“Trey this, Trey that, why do you always talking about that stupid Trey?” He complains.

“Shut the hell up!” I lean over to smack him upside the head. “You’re so oblivious to others feelings it’s not even funny.”

“How dare you talk to me like that,” he glares daggers at me, his deep blue eyes glistening evilly. “Besides, I would not know what it is like being a slave girl,” he smirks at me before turning away.

“You wouldn’t want to know,” my voice is small, I’m sure he can’t hear me.

The rest of the ride to the village is quiet, which is probably for the best. Soon the village gates are just around the corner, but Bennett stops the horse. “I must use your cloak,” he tells me.

“Why didn’t you bring your own?” I retort.

“They will recognize me more than you,” he points out. “They will wonder why I have a girl with me and then easily realize that it is you.”

“Don’t you want your dad to find me anyway?” I glare at him, and he glares back.

“I would rather me bring you back than a guard,” he points out. “At least I will not beat you like they obviously used to in the Castle of the Gifted.”